History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Prideaux House with Attached Wall and Gazebo

A Grade II Listed Building in Luxulyan, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3725 / 50°22'20"N

Longitude: -4.7309 / 4°43'51"W

OS Eastings: 205905

OS Northings: 56076

OS Grid: SX059560

Mapcode National: GBR N2.TW22

Mapcode Global: FRA 08Z1.W7D

Entry Name: Prideaux House with Attached Wall and Gazebo

Listing Date: 7 January 1952

Last Amended: 28 August 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1158296

English Heritage Legacy ID: 70918

Location: Luxulyan, Cornwall, PL24

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Luxulyan

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Luxulyan

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Luxulyan

Listing Text

LUXULYAN
SX 05 NE
7/166 Prideaux House with attached wall
-
7.1.52 and gazebo (formerly listed as
Prideaux New Manor)
GV II

House with attached screen wall and gazebo. 1808, built for one of the Rashleigh
family; some later alterations. Front and left side in granite ashlar; granite
rubble, partly rendered. Hipped slate roof with ridge tiles behind high parapet.
Rendered axial stacks.
Plam : Double depth plan, with central entrance, principal room to front right and
left; the room to front left is open to the room to rear left. Stair well to rear
right. Attached to rear right, a large service wing with cellar and attic. A screen
wall is attached to front right, with the service yard behind at cellar level; the
screen wall terminated by a gazebo.
2-storeys, 1:1:1 bays. The central bay breaks forward and is carried on 2 pairs of
granite Tuscan columns, supporting the wide, round unmoulded arch of the porch, its
archivolt recessed into the house ; over the arch a straight cornice, and under the
porch a low flight of 4 granite steps lead to the recessed doorway. Panelled double
doors, with applied coats of arms of earlier date, sidelights and decorative
fanlight. Large 15-pane sash with sidelights and segmental head to right and left; at
first floor three 12-pane sashes with bandcourse over; cornice and blocking course.
At the left side, the 3 central bays are broken forward; at ground floor, 2 large 12-
pane sashes with segmental heads, each with flight of 8 granite steps to garden
terrace; central round-headed niche with Rashleigh arms. First floor has band course
and cill band to three 12-pane sashes; cornice and blocking course. At the right
side, the screen wall in rubble extends about 10 metres, rising to first floor level
at the front; to the rear of the wall the service courtyard, with 4 open bays with
cambered heads below the wall as open store on the yard side. At the end of the
wall, small single storey gazebo, with pryamidal slate roof, C20 door to right side
with brick jambs. The right side of the house has at basement level 3 doors with
segmental heads, and two 12-pane sashes, arranged symmetrically. Ground-floor has 5
windows, all 12-pane sashes except 2nd from left, which is blind; first floor has 5
windows, blind except 2 to right with C20 sashes; upper level of first floor has two
12-pane sashes and two 9-pane sashes, 2nd from left blind. Stack rising from eaves
to left heating the front rooms. Attached to right, a large contemporary 1808
service wing of 3 storeys on cellar; towards the front, a cellar door and 18-pane
sash, with 12-pane at first floor to left. The service wing at the right side has 5
windows, similar sashes with segmental heads at ground floor, with 30-pane sash to
left lighting the service stair; door 2nd from right. Other windows at first and 2nd
floors 12-pane sashes. The rear is rendered and lined out; the rear of the main
house has a round-headed sash lighting the entrance hall with Y-tracery glazing bars;
12-pane sash to right. First floor right has 12-pane sash, to left a 16-pane sash and
C20 sash. The service wing projects to left, also of 5 windows, at ground floor 12-
pane sashes with a glazed C20 door, at first floor 15-pane sashes. The rear of the
service wing has a single storey addition in granite ashlar with hipped roof, now
used as garages.
Interior Central entrance hall has arch with vault and rear stair well, oval, with
open-well stair with open string, wreathed handrail and stick balusters. Rectangular
lantern above with swagged plasterwork. The room to front right has coloured marble
chimneypiece, plain cornice and shutters to windows. The room to front left has
false door to front for symmetry with door to room to right, and rear 6-panelled
door; later C19 marble chimneypiece and cornice with wheatear and roses; panelled
doors double to room to rear left, which has the same cornice and marble Regency-
style chimneypiece. In the service wing, the cellar rooms are vaulted. Rest of
interior not inspected.


Listing NGR: SX0590556076

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.