This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.4087 / 50°24'31"N
Longitude: -4.2939 / 4°17'37"W
OS Eastings: 237102
OS Northings: 59048
OS Grid: SX371590
Mapcode National: GBR NP.RLWP
Mapcode Global: FRA 17WZ.50L
Entry Name: Church of St Terminus
Listing Date: 23 January 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1158530
English Heritage Legacy ID: 62021
Location: Landrake with St. Erney, Cornwall, PL12
Civil Parish: Landrake with St. Erney
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Landrake
Church of England Diocese: Truro
LANDRAKE WITH ST ERNEY
SX 35 NE ST ERNEY
5/24 Church of St Terminus
Parish church. Late C13, mid C15; restoration of 1872 including re-roofing and
rebuilding of the north and south porches. Slatestone random rubble and squared
rubble, with limestone dressings. Slate roofs with crested ridge tiles.
Plan: West tower of late C13, and nave; chancel probably built in the mid C15, with
north arcade, north aisle and north porch. South porch. The C19 restoration
includes rebuilding of porches.
2-stage tower with very large weathered buttresses to north and south, rising to
first stage; moulded string courses and set back embattled parapet. To west, a C19
2-light window with cusped lights and hood mould, set in an opening of a formerly
larger window, with rough segmental head and imposts remaining. At second stage,
north side has lower bell-opening with slate louvre, square-headed lancet with 4-
centred arched hood mould. At upper level to all sides a single lancet bell-opening
with granite jambs and slate louvres; string course stepped over the head of the
south bell-opening. Embattled parapet with coping and later C15 granite obelisk
Nave has 2 south windows, both of C19, 3-light with cusped lights.
Gabled south porch in squared stone on plinth, with 4-centred arched doorway with
imposts, relieving arch and keystone, raised coped verges and cross finial. C17
slate ledger stone set in floor; stone benches to sides and C19 roof with purlins and
wall-plate. Brick segmental arch over inner C19 door with strap hinges and 4-centred
arched head, wooden spandrels with quatrefoils.
Chancel of one bay, set back from nave, blind to south, with 3-light C19 east window
of 3 lights, with 4-centred arch and intersecting tracery
North aisle of 3 bays on moulded plinth; 3-light east window with hollow-chamfered 3-
centred arched lights, upper tracery and hood mould. North side has 2 similar 3-
Light windows, east end also similar window.
Gabled north porch in squared stone on plinth, with round-arched outer doorway with
imposts, raised coped verges and cross finial. Slate floor and roof as in south
porch. Inner C15 doorway, hollow-chamfered, with 4-centred arch and mask corbel set
above, with C19 studded door.
Interior: Plastered walls. Nave and chancel in one, and the north aisle, all have
C19 roofs of arched-braces, with collar and king posts. Granite tower arch, with
polygonal shafts to sides, impost mouldings and chamfered 4-centred arch. C19 screen
across arch. 4-bay north arcade with Pevsner A-type piers with abaci carved with
geometric leaves; 4-centred arches with convex and roll mouldings.
Fittings: font in nave, probably in C13, with moulded sides to square bowl. Oil on
canvas arms of the Blake family, in north aisle, dated 1770. In tower, hatchment of
early C19, with Lord's Prayer and Creed. C19 wooden pews in nave and aisle. C18
sanctuary chair in chancel. Monuments in nave: marble tablet on slate ground, to
Jonathon Palmer, 1839; slate tablet with pedimental head, painted lettering and
flaming urn, to Peter Palmer, 1736; marble tablet on slate ground, to Mary Palmer,
1821; slate tablet with pedimental top, with 2 flaming urns, heart in roundel, skull
set within clock face and casket, to Jewell Doidge, 1798. Monuments in north aisle:
fine Jacobean slate tablet with strapwork and primitive Gothic lettering, to Henry
Dudy, 1636; oval slate tablet, to Ann tawe,1691.
Glass: chancel and aisle east windows with late C19 stained glass.
Sources: Radcliffe, E: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970.
Listing NGR: SX3710259048
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings