This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9362 / 52°56'10"N
Longitude: -1.525 / 1°31'29"W
OS Eastings: 432023
OS Northings: 337751
OS Grid: SK320377
Mapcode National: GBR P68.VT
Mapcode Global: WHCFN.KG1C
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 13 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1158642
English Heritage Legacy ID: 78925
Location: Mackworth, Amber Valley, Derbyshire, DE22
District: Amber Valley
Civil Parish: Mackworth
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Mackworth All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 33 NW PARISH OF MACKWORTH LOWER ROAD
6/85 (North Side)
13.2.67 Church of All Saints
Parish Church. Early C14, late C14, C15. Restoration 1851.
Coursed squared sandstone with sandstone dressings. Welsh slate
roofs with stone coped gables. Aisle roofs hidden behind
parapets. Moulded stone plinth. West steeple, aisled nave and
south porch, chancel with north vestry. West tower of two
unequal stages divided by a chamfered stringcourse. Angle
buttresses with five set-offs, linked by pilaster strips to the
battlemented parapet. The ground stage has only arrow slits
and beneath the stringcourse a cross-loop window to each face,
possibly for defensive reasons. Lozenge clock face to south
dated 1872. Bell stage has to all four sides tall 2-light bell
openings with a transom and cusped ogee lights under a flat arch,
set within a segment headed opening with moulded surround.
Recessed stone spire with one tier of lucarnes. The south aisle
has a 3-light west window with Perp style tracery. The south
porch shares its west wall with that of the aisle. At the join
is a buttress incorporating a stair turret. Porch is two
storeyed and shallow gabled. To west and east a plain 2-light
recessed and chamfered mullion window and a single light window
above. Diagonal buttresses. Pointed arched doorway, double
chamfered, Trellis pattern door. Sundial above with gnomon.
South aisle has two 3-light windows under flat arches, with
cusped ogee tracery, set in deep chamfered surrounds. Buttress
between and diagonal buttress. 3-light east window with Perp
tracery. The chancel has a C19 ballflower eaves cornice.
Two bays divided by gableted buttresses, the east one with a
crocketed pinnacle. Two 2-light Dec style windows, hoodmoulds
with foliage stops. Priest's doorway with two wave mouldings
and a frieze of ballflower. Hoodmould with headstops. All the
details look C19 in their present form. 4-light east window
with Dec tracery. Gableted and pinnacled angle buttresses. The
north side has a lean-to vestry of 1851, with a chimney stack
and a 2-light and a 3-light window with trefoil motifs. North
aisle of three bays, divided by buttresses. Two 3-light windows
as on the south side and in the west bay a plain single chamfered
blocked doorway. Three small 2-light clerestory windows. North
aisle west window of c1300, with Y-tracery. Five scratch dials
on buttresses. Interior: Three bay nave arcades, octagonal piers
and abaci, and arches of two orders. Similar chancel arch,
dying into the imposts. Doorway to tower with provisions for
barring it. In the south aisle, a Dec tomb recess with moulded
arch and a piscina at the east end. In the chancel, early C14
sedilia and piscina, re-cut in C19. In the north aisle at the
east end are two C14 canopied niches for saints and on the north
wall a broad double niche. Rich Dec style octagonal font of
c1870 with nodding ogee arches around the bowl Monuments: Tomb
chest to Edward Mundy, died 1607 (south aisle), alabaster effigy
with children along the front of the chest. Gothic tablet to
Richard French, died 1801, by Hall of Derby (north aisle). Also
an C18 cartouche and two other tablets. Sumptuously decorated
late Victorian chancel. Reredos of 1878, of Derbyshire alabaster
and inlay of various stones. Abstract patterns and traceried gables
either side of the east window, with floral motifs. Said to be a
copy in part of a reredos in a church in Pavia. Alabaster standard
candlesticks of 1902, either side of the altar. Angels on twisted
columns. Communion rails of 1893, white alabaster with Blue John
and other inlay. Copied from a balustrade in Rome. Rich tiled
floor. Carved canopy over the vestry door, of 1886. Angel corbels
supporting a richly carved marble and alabaster crocketed ogee
arch, with flanking twisted colonnettes, surmounted by three winged
angels. Wall tablets on the south side in marble and alabaster, to
Father Noel Mundy and Emily Mundy, died 1903 and 1929 respectively.
Paired circular tablets either side of a cross. C19 choir stalls.
Pulpit, 1896, of Derbyshire alabaster and green Irish marble on a
Dorset marble base. Lectern of 1903 by Charles Lomas of Derby.
Carved from a single block of Chellaston alabaster, a vine climbing
up the stem and ending in leaves and grapes below the bible support.
Stained glass east window of 1851 with figures of Saints, character-
istic of its date.
Listing NGR: SK3202137751
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings