History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Thornbridge Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Ashford in the Water, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 53.235 / 53°14'5"N

Longitude: -1.7048 / 1°42'17"W

OS Eastings: 419798

OS Northings: 370922

OS Grid: SK197709

Mapcode National: GBR 467.7S4

Mapcode Global: WHCD0.SYCD

Entry Name: Thornbridge Hall

Listing Date: 12 July 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1158698

English Heritage Legacy ID: 80477

Location: Ashford in the Water, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE45

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

Civil Parish: Ashford in the Water

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Ashford-in-the-Water Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Great Longstone

Listing Text

3/47 (East Side)
12.7.1967 Thornbridge Hall

Hall and stableblock, now combined and converted into educational
establishment. C18 core, 1871 additions, completely altered in 1897 by
Charles Hadfield in neo-Tudor style. Also with C20 additions. Coursed squared limestone with sandstone dressings and quoins. Continuous ground and first
floor dripmoulds. Roofs hidden by parapet walls. Numerous octagonal, diamond
and other sectioned stone side wall and ridge stacks. Ridgeback coped
parapets, partly castellated. Irregular plan, basically square with northern tower, joined to quadrangular stableblock to north. House, 2 and 3 storeys
with 4 storey tower, stableblock mainly single storey with two storey tower. Garden front - polygonal projecting corner bay to south with mullion and
transom window. Plain recessed section to north in advanced bay beyond 4-light mullion and transom window with central major mullion, Two 3-light mullion and transom windows beyond with external stack between. Advanced polygonal bay
beyond matching southern one. Above, similar windows in same arrangement.
Over, parapet walls and projecting stacks. Beyond, to north, recessed three storey section with single storey porch, similar style windows and stacks
over. South elevation similar, with advanced canted bays and mullion and
transom windows. All fenestration, various different designs of leaded lights. Principal entrance to west of c1910. Large porte-cochere with balustraded parapet, supported on Tuscan columns, Canted mullion and transom bay window
over and stepped parapet with coat of arms to centre. To north, long range of
C20 additions connecting hall to stableblock. Behind these, at north end of
the hall, four storey tower with mullioned windows and massive corbelling
to east side. In south-east corner, at an angle, Tudor-style doorcase with
large mullion and transom window over, the original 1897 entrance.
Stableblock to north-quadrangle of low eaved single storey buildings with
plain tile roofs. Main facade to west - central four-centred arch with
continuous dripmould over. To south side, four mullion and transomed windows, three furtherest to south being double transomed, To north side, three
mullioned and transom window below and above,dripmould. Low parapet wall over,
to both sides, stepped up towards central embattled tower with corbelled parapets, topped by octagonal lead cupola. Base with clock faces to north and south. Above, semi-circular headed arches with flying buttresses between. Octagonal dome over. To rear of stableblock large semi-circular mullioned bay window. Various Tuscan columned porches to sides.
Interior of hall - elaborate Tudor-style panelling to main rooms and halls.
Galleried, Grand Hall has barrel vaulted, plasterwork ceiling, double flight
staircase with Morris & Co window to west and carved panels above each door.
Main porch of Hopton Wood marble with Buffet Fountain, from Chatsworth, by
Samuel Watson of 1709 to side, 1897 billiard room with built-in benches, full
length Tudor style fireplace, clocks and concealed panelled cue cupboards.
Marble fireplace, probably from Harlaxton in dining room. Also walnut
panelling and plasterwork ceiling. Upstairs, two 1897 bathrooms with mahogany panelling and slate baths. Above south entrance, large stained glass window
of tropical birds. Various re-used carvings from other country houses,
imported to the hall c1930s.

Listing NGR: SK1979870922

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.