This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8055 / 51°48'19"N
Longitude: -1.0704 / 1°4'13"W
OS Eastings: 464194
OS Northings: 212285
OS Grid: SP641122
Mapcode National: GBR 9ZY.L7L
Mapcode Global: VHCXK.DWH8
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 21 December 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1158749
English Heritage Legacy ID: 42506
Location: Oakley, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Oakley
Built-Up Area: Oakley
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Oakley
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 61 SW OAKLEY BICESTER ROAD
5/125 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. Originally C12, with early C14 chancel, S. transept and N.
aisle, later C14 W. tower, and C15 clerestory. Restored C19. Coursed rubble
stone, lead roofs to nave, and tower, tiled roofs to remainder. Nave,
tower and aisle have moulded parpets. W. tower is of 2 stages, each with
single cusped ogee lights, the W. side with 2-light traceried window to
bell-chamber and another altered traceried window over C20 door. Stair
turret with octagonal stone finial at S.E. corner. Nave has clerestory
of single, cusped lights, 3 to N., 2 to S., and 2 3-light Perpendicular
windows to S., the left totally restored. Medieval S. door with moulded
arch in C20 roughcast porch. Small bell-cote at E. end of nave. N.
aisle has moulded doorway and 3 2-light windows to N., the outer with
cusped lights and flat heads, the central window arched and traceried.
Similar traceried window to E., single cusped window to W. S. transept has
restored angle buttresses, 2-light traceried windows to E. and W., and fine
3-light window with reticulated tracery to S. over wide cinquefoil tomb
recess. Chancel also much restored, with 2 paired cusped windows to S.,
a C16 2-light window and a C19 3-light traceried window to N., and a similar
3-light E. window. Interior: triple chamfered arch to tower. Nave has
N. arcade of 5 irregular double chamfered arches, the W. pier chamfered,
centre piers circular, E. pier octagonal, all with moulded caps. Double
chamfered arch to S. transept, the E. respond with small cusped niche.
Cusped ogee piscina with traces of painting in E. wall of nave. C19
nave roof, the N. side on C15 stone corbels with mouldings or carved
heads. 2 tomb recesses in N. aisle. Squint from transept to chancel.
Double chamfered chancel arch. Chancel mostly C19. Fittings: circular font,
possibly C13; C17 altar table with turned baluster legs; C19 glass.
Monuments: elaborate marble wall tablet in transept to James Tyrell 1745;
stone plaques in N. aisle to John Clarke 1722, the top with scrolls, drapery
swag and scull, and to Anne Clarke 1713.
RCHM I p. 263-5.
Listing NGR: SP6419412285
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings