This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.7338 / 54°44'1"N
Longitude: -1.6524 / 1°39'8"W
OS Eastings: 422479
OS Northings: 537697
OS Grid: NZ224376
Mapcode National: GBR JFXP.1W
Mapcode Global: WHC4W.L8BW
Entry Name: Church of St Brandon
Listing Date: 10 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1158956
English Heritage Legacy ID: 109901
Location: Brancepeth, County Durham, DH7
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Brancepeth
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Brancepeth
Church of England Diocese: Durham
BRANCEPETH NORTH DRIVE
(South side, off)
15/20 Inset Church of
10/5/67 St Brandon
Parish church. Late C12 tower; early C13 aisled nave with late C13-early C14
east bay and transepts; aisles widened and extended to engage tower in C14;
chancel rebuilt, south transept extended to east and north chapel and nave
clerestory added in C15; c.1630 north porch; C19 south porch and restorations.
Chancel roof 1638 by Robert Barker for Rector John Cosin. Dressed sandstone
chancel, north chapel and east bay of south transept; squared and rubble stone
elsewhere. Lead roofs. West tower engaged by aisles; aisled nave with north
and south porches and transepts; aisleless chancel with north and south
chapels, the latter on east return of transept.
Unbuttressed 4-stage tower with round-headed loops on second stage, paired
lancets above and embattled parapet on corbel table. 3-bay nave has 3-light
clerestory windows between thin buttresses. Buttressed aisles have pointed
windows with mainly restored curvilinear tracery. Buttressed 3-bay chancel
has chamfered plinth and pointed windows with Perpendicular tracery. Defaced
stone panel with Christ in mandorla on south-east buttress of chancel.
Diagonally-buttressed transepts have pointed windows with curvilinear tracery.
North and south chapel windows similar to chancel. Low-pitched roofs behind
parapets. North porch, added by Cosin, has pointed doorways, blocked on west
return, framed by pilasters with strapwork, friezes with Cosin Arms and cherub
heads; semicircular pediment on front and battlements on returns. Gabled
Interior: Pointed double-chamfered arches to tower, 3-bay nave arcades and
chancel, the latter arch moved one bay to east in late C13. Arcades under
hoodmoulds and on octagonal piers with moulded capitals. Elaborate C15 wood
nave roof with carved bosses. C15 ribbed wood tunnel vault, between south
transept and chancel, has bosses with shields, crocketed extrados and crowning
Woodwork: Reredos re-uses C15 Perpendicular panelling. Altar in south
transept by Thompson of Kilburn made from C14 Flemish chest with Flamboyant
tracery. Superb fittings with elaborate carving installed by Cosin c.1630-40
in two distinct styles: 1) contemporary Jacobean with strapwork and Classical
motifs (nave pews, box/family pews and pulpit); 2) conscious Gothic Revival
with poppyheads, tracery, some Classical motifs and strapwork (font cover,
rood screen, choir stalls and chancel panelling). 1628 6-leg Communion table
and contemporary rail. 1638 chancel roof has flat rib vault and ceilure above
altar with lierne ribs and bosses with winged angels. 2 carved wood fragments
above chancel arch: 1) with Gothic ribs, cresting and Instruments of the
Passion (possibly contemporary with the Cosin fittings); 2) with square
panels containing Flamboyant tracery. Font cover raised on 4 iron posts in
1972 by G.G. Pace.
Monuments. Large cross-legged stone effigy of Robert Neville died 1319.
Recumbent wood effigies of Ralph Neville died 1484 and his wife. Stone tomb
chest of Ralph Neville died 1523. Brasses to Thomas Claxton died 1403 and
Richard Drax died 1456. Several C17 and C18 floor slabs and wall monuments.
Glass: 3 possible Flemish roundels in north aisle window; Boyne testimonial
window 1864 by Blackmore of London.
Note: John Cosin (1595-1672), Rector of Brancepeth 1620-46 and Bishop of
Durham 1660-72, was responsible for sumptuous fittings in several churches in
the County including the Cathedral. Brancepeth Church is the most complete.
(G. Foley, Brancepeth Church Guide, 1980).
(N. Pevsner revised E. Williamson, The Buildings of England - County Durham,
2nd. edition, 1983).
Listing NGR: NZ2248337697
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings