This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5314 / 54°31'53"N
Longitude: -2.6754 / 2°40'31"W
OS Eastings: 356392
OS Northings: 515338
OS Grid: NY563153
Mapcode National: GBR 9JR1.LC
Mapcode Global: WH81Y.WC6G
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 6 February 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159061
English Heritage Legacy ID: 74158
Location: Shap, Eden, Cumbria, CA10
Civil Parish: Shap
Built-Up Area: Shap
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Shap with Swindale St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
JACKSON'S LANE (South side),
Church of St Michael
Parish Church. Probably dates from C12. Later additions and alterations: C13
side aisle; 1765 chancel rebuilt; 1828 west tower rebuilt; 1898-9 extensive
restoration with north vestry and chancel rebuilt and south chapel added
(date stone on south side). Ashlar and snecked rubble on chamfered plinth with
stepped buttresses. Graduated slate roofs with stone copings and apex crosses.
West tower, nave with south aisle, chancel with south chapel and north vestry.
2-stage tower with C19 double doors in surround with 4-centred head; louvred
openings to 2nd stage; parapet castellated. 4-bay nave (extended to form
baptistry on south side) and 2-bay chancel. Windows mainly multi-light (some
original C16); single-light window to each end of north nave elevation.
Interior: South arcade of 4 semicircular arches carried between stone columns
with moulded plinths and capitals. 1899 carved wooden pulpit in north-east
corner of nave. Re-used C17 communion rail with turned balusters. Octagonal
stone pillar font at east end of south aisle presented by Mrs Bindloss in 1880;
cylindrical polished granite font at west end of south aisle presented by Shap
Granite Co. in 1899. Some early C20 glass.
Listing NGR: NY5639215338
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings