History in Structure

Church of St Matthew

A Grade II Listed Building in Overseal, Derbyshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.736 / 52°44'9"N

Longitude: -1.5647 / 1°33'53"W

OS Eastings: 429486

OS Northings: 315467

OS Grid: SK294154

Mapcode National: GBR 5FR.F6Z

Mapcode Global: WHCGL.YH2B

Plus Code: 9C4WPCPP+C4

Entry Name: Church of St Matthew

Listing Date: 12 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1159220

English Heritage Legacy ID: 82975

ID on this website: 101159220

Location: St Matthew's Church, Overseal, South Derbyshire, DE12

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Overseal

Built-Up Area: Swadlincote

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Overseal St Matthew

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


3/43 (North Side)
Church of St Matthew

Parish church. 1841 by Thomas Johnson of Lichfield in Early
English style, chancel added 1908. Tooled ashlar with stone
dressings and moulded plinth. Slate roof with stone coped
gables on moulded kneelers, topped by ridge crosses, plus coved
band one course below eaves level. Western tower, nave and
lower chancel with north and south vestries. Three stage tower
has angle buttresses to half way up second stage on western
corners, a polygonal staircase turret to north-east corner with
four-centred arched door and lapped stone roof, and a moulded
pointed west door with double studded wooden doors. Above there
is a cavetto moulded lancet and above again there is a diamond
shaped clockface. North and south sides have small slit windows
to second stage. Bell stage is considerably narrower with
chamfered band to base and chamfered corners. Each side has a
Y-tracery pointed louvred bell opening, and above it has a
pyramidal plain tile roof with wide belled eaves. North nave
elevation has five moulded lancets with almost full height
buttresses between and similar angle buttresses to either end.
Attached to east end of aisle is a low vestry with cavetto
moulded pointed northern door and a moulded lancet to east.
Above this in the north chancel wall is a trefoil shaped window
and beyond to east there is a stepped triple lancet window.
5-light geometric tracery east window has two major mullions to
centre and flanking buttresses to either side. South chancel
elevation has two cavetto moulded lancets and south vestry
beyond has similar window to east, a cavetto moulded doorcase to
west and a trefoil shaped window to east set in four-centred
arched recess. South nave elevation similar to northern
elevation. All openings have hoomoulds, those to south chancel
lancets with foliage stops. Interior has a wide, almost semi-
circular triple chamfered chancel arch with soffit on moulded
corbels, and a pointed chamfered western door with hoodmould
plus foliage stops into the tower. Similar door into south
vestry and similar hoods and stops to all nave lancets and
north-east window of chancel. Nave has an arched braced queen
post roof on moulded corbels and chancel has strutted arched
braced trusses. Chancel has early C20 panelled oak reredos and
metal altar rails, oak choir stalls with poppy head bench ends
dated 1913 and a wooden chancel screen with frieze of small
trefoils below trefoil headed arcade dated 1909. The nave has
its original box pews, with poppy head finials and blind pointed
arches to bench ends, on either side and later bench pews, also
with poppy finials, to centre. Octagonal stone pulpit to south
side of nave has moulded base, cusped headed panels to each side
and is reached from the south vestry via a doorcase with
castellated cornice. The font, which is also octagonal, has
carved sides and stem. North side of nave to west end has
screened-off vestry of c1950. There are few monuments, two
brass wall memorials, one in chancel to Rev Dibben who died 1918
and one in nave to Mary and Emily Singleton of c1896, plus two
to west end of nave, one gothick aediculed wall monument to
Elizabeth Pyecroft who donated land for the church and the other
recording the peal of bells given to commemorate First World War
victims. East window, south chancel windows and all but
westernmost window to north side of nave all have faintly
coloured glass. Three central southern nave windows and eastern
window on north side of chancel, the original east window, all
have brightly coloured Chartres style stained glass of 1841,
whilst the trefoil shaped chancel window has late C19 figurative
glass and the westernmost north nave window has memorial stained
glass to William Wright of c1954. South vestry has two
figurative stained glass windows, one of 1858, the other of

Listing NGR: SK2948615467

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.