This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.7331 / 54°43'59"N
Longitude: -1.587 / 1°35'13"W
OS Eastings: 426694
OS Northings: 537647
OS Grid: NZ266376
Mapcode National: GBR KFCQ.73
Mapcode Global: WHC4X.L9JC
Plus Code: 9C6WPCM7+66
Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew
Listing Date: 10 May 1967
Last Amended: 7 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159286
English Heritage Legacy ID: 109948
Location: Croxdale and Hett, County Durham, DH6
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Croxdale and Hett
Built-Up Area: Croxdale
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Croxdale
Church of England Diocese: Durham
CROXDALE AND HETT MAIN STREET
Sunder land Bridge
16/67 Church of St.
Parish church. 1843-6 by George Pickering; north wall demolished and new nave
and chancel added 1876-8 by C.H. Fowler. Romanesque style with Decorated
Gothic additions. Squared sandstone with dressings and Welsh slate roofs.
West tower; original nave (now south aisle), original chancel (now vestry/
organ chamber), added nave and chancel on north.
Tower and original nave and chancel have round-arched openings of 2 orders
with roll-moulded outer orders on colonnettes with scalloped capitals.
4-stage tower has clasping buttresses on lower stages, south doorway, 2-light
belfry windows and parapet on corbel table. Original 3-bay nave has chamfered
plinth, flat-buttressed bay divisions, sill and impost bands; single window
under hoodmould in each bay; corbel table at eaves of steeply-pitched roof
with coped gables. Lower, narrower original 2-bay chancel has similar details,
south doorway with zigzag on outer order, paired lights in each bay, single
window on buttressed east end and a steeply-pitched roof. Slightly longer
and taller added nave and chancel have pointed 2- and 3-light windows, with
trefoil-headed lights, similar 5-light east window and steep roofs.
Interior: Original north wall replaced 1876 by 5-bay wood arcade to nave and
2-bay pointed stone arcade to chancel. Original semicircular chancel arch
of 2 orders, the outer order with zigzag on responds with scalloped capitals.
Added nave has arch-braced king-post roof. Added chancel has 1897 Perpendicular-
style rood screen and barrel roof. Elaborate crocketed early C19 wood font
cover. Some c.1876 stained glass by Clayton and Bell.
Listing NGR: NZ2669437647
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings