This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.872 / 54°52'19"N
Longitude: -1.6436 / 1°38'36"W
OS Eastings: 422969
OS Northings: 553080
OS Grid: NZ229530
Mapcode National: GBR JDY3.YB
Mapcode Global: WHC43.QSJY
Entry Name: Church of St Paul
Listing Date: 23 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159301
English Heritage Legacy ID: 109411
Location: Urpeth, County Durham, DH9
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Urpeth
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: West Pelton
Church of England Diocese: Durham
URPETH ST. PAUL'S TERRACE
NZ 25 SW
3/67 Church of St. Paul
Parish church. 1879 by Austin, Johnson and Hicks of Newcastle for patrons John
and Edward Joicey. Dressed sandstone and graduated green slate roofs.
Continuous, aisleless nave and chancel; north and south transepts; south porch
on nave; 2 north vestries on chancel; extruded bell tower with spire between
chancel and south transept. Austere Perpendicular style.
4-bay nave and 2-bay chancel under continuous roof. Chancel taller than nave
owing to slope of ground. Chamfered plinth and sill bands. Windows with
leaded panes, iron glazing bars and cusped trefoil-headed lights. Nave: tall
pointed 4-light west window; 2 square-headed 4-light windows on north and south;
pointed south doorway in porch. Chancel windows set high: 3- and 2-light square-
headed windows on south; pointed 3-light window on angle-buttressed east end.
Steeply-pitched roof carried down at west end of nave to form pent roof of wide
porch. Porch has carved wood screen with shaped bench -ends and 3-centred arch.
Lower twin-gabled and angle-buttressed transepts; each with two 3-light pointed
windows under hoodmoulds. Gabled choir vestry has Tudor-arched doorway and
2-light mullioned window. Vicar's vestry to east has 5-light mullioned window
and a pent roof carried directly down from the chancel roof. Tall and slender,
octagonal-plan bell tower on square base: 2 stages plus belfry and spire; belfry
has square-headed 2-light openings and an embattled parapet; short octagonal-
plan stone spire.
Plain and plastered interior. Wide double-chamfered chancel arch dying into
wall. 2-bay arcades, with similar arches and central octagonal piers, divide
transepts from nave. Panelled chancel with mosaic sanctuary floor. 1892 east
window by C.E. Kempe of London. 1921 World War I memorial of marble in nave.
Slightly-pointed, compartmented barrel roofs to nave and chancel.
Listing NGR: NZ2296953080
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings