This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.7044 / 54°42'15"N
Longitude: -1.5165 / 1°30'59"W
OS Eastings: 431254
OS Northings: 534482
OS Grid: NZ312344
Mapcode National: GBR KGV1.HD
Mapcode Global: WHC54.P02V
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 9 January 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159322
English Heritage Legacy ID: 112222
Location: Cornforth, County Durham, DL17
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Cornforth
Built-Up Area: Cornforth
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Cornforth and FerryHill
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 33 SW CORNFORTH THE GREEN
7/16 Church of the
9/1/68 Holy Trinity
Parish church, 1867 by J.P. Pritchett. Polychrome brick with ashlar dressings;
blue and green slate roof with stone gable copings. Nave with south porch;
chancel with north vestry. Early English style. Gabled porch has double
boarded doors, with elaborate hinges on roll-moulded surround with shafts
with water-leaf capitals. Stone cross finial. Plate tracery in 2-light
windows of 4-bay nave, with buttress between 2 eastern bays. Set-back chancel
has 2 plainer windows, and large 3-light east window with plate tracery. All
windows have recessed chamfered surrounds, and dark brick arches with dark
impost string. Large 6-foil west window. Head-stopped dripmoulds to doors.
Buttresses, gabled to chancel. Small alteration to north-east buttresses -
insertion of pipe to allow clear sight-line from vestry to gates, for view of
arrival of funerals, it is said. Some renewal of bricks at east. Roof
steeply-pitched, with east gabled bellcote on nave; cross finials on gable
Interior painted brick, with painted ashlar dressings; arch-braced roof on
stone corbels; waggon roof in chancel. Roll-moulded chancel arch on square
pilasters with elaborately-carved capitals to shafts. Head-stops to dripmould
over vestry door; chamfered organ arch. All carving now painted in vivid
colours. Star of David symbol of Trinity in west window by L.C. Evetts.
Octagonal stone font with symbols of Evangelists carved in recessed panels.
Elaborately-carved altar with painted relief panels in Gothic style. Reredos
reconstituted and sculptures added to altar circa 1913 (brass plaque signed
Herbert Wauthie del., F. Osborne and Co. London).
Listing NGR: NZ3125434482
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings