This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1063 / 50°6'22"N
Longitude: -5.3825 / 5°22'57"W
OS Eastings: 158232
OS Northings: 28396
OS Grid: SW582283
Mapcode National: GBR FX2D.K9Q
Mapcode Global: VH131.NLBB
Entry Name: Farm Buildings and Adjoining Walls at 50 Metres South East of Pengersick Castle
Listing Date: 26 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159435
English Heritage Legacy ID: 65785
Location: Breage, Cornwall, TR20
Civil Parish: Breage
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Germoe
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 52 NE BREAGE PENGERSICK
6/181 Farm buildings and adjoining walls
at 50 metres south east of
Farm buildings, store and ruinous walls. Second half C19 on site of Tudor buildings
and incorporating parts. Granite rubble with granite quoins and dressings, scantle
slate roofs (with clay ventilator ridge tiles) and some corrugated sheet in phases
with gable ends and hipped return between ranges; one brick axial stack.
Overall L-shaped plan comprising a continuous series of different blocks facing south
and east with low yard walls adjoining west and south. They are on the site of the
south and east ranges of the west courtyard of Pengersick Castle (q.v.). Far left
(west) is a store with doors north and south and small lean-to rear right; parts of
the walls survive from earlier ranges, in particular the west gable end including a
flue (with circa 1927 window broken through). Right of this a block with shippons
below and granary above; right again are single storey buildings returning north for
some distance and interrupted by central cart shed. Extending north again from this
west range a freestanding earth-bound rubble wall which returns east forming 2 sides
of a ruinous building surviving from the castle (q.v.).
South face largerly obscured by ivy: to left a low single storey store with central
doorway adjoining a taller 2 storey barn with regular 4 bay front and loading doors
in second bay from right; right again shippons each with door and window returning
onto east face, at centre of which a taller 2 bay cart shed with central granite
post. Onto this east-facing range the ruinous wall is joined by a 1927 arch made up
of odd moulded stones; it varies in height up to about 2 metres.
Part of a little-altered C19 farm complex seen in association with Pengersick Castle
and evoking its layout.
Sources : Copy by W Borlase of circa 1533 painting of Pengersick Castle, CRO; early
C19 drawing of castle by Buckley in Bodleian Library, Oxford; photograph of castle
circa 1860 in Falmouth Public library edition of Twycross; information from John
Listing NGR: SW5823228396
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings