This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2406 / 53°14'26"N
Longitude: -2.113 / 2°6'46"W
OS Eastings: 392555
OS Northings: 371517
OS Grid: SJ925715
Mapcode National: GBR FZPZ.B1
Mapcode Global: WHBBP.JT11
Plus Code: 9C5V6VRP+7R
Entry Name: Chapel and Chaplain's House C.7 Yards East of Sutton Hall
Listing Date: 14 April 1967
Last Amended: 25 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159446
English Heritage Legacy ID: 58636
Location: Sutton, Cheshire East, SK11
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Sutton
Built-Up Area: Sutton Lane Ends
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Sutton St James
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 97 SW SUTTON (OFF) BULLOCKS LANE
2/53 Chapel and Chaplain's House
c.7 yards East of Sutton Hall
(formerly listed as Chapel at
Chapel and Chaplain's House. C16 or C17. Coursed rubble with stone slate roof.
Single and two storeys. Entrance front: Western end of single storey Chapel
to right with gable and double C20 doors to ground floor. To left of this
is outshut to Chaplain's house with unfenestrated wall and to left of this
a lychgate with lean-to porch roof and moulded, pointed arch. Right hand return:
two and three-light windows with square wooden mullions to the upper wall.
Rear: Unfenestrated eastern gable end of Chapel at left. To right of this
the Chaplain's house has two and 3-light ground floor windows to left and
right respectively with square wooden mullions and a doorway at right. Two-
3-light first floor windows.
Interior: Chamfered ceiling beams to roof of ground floor rooms in Chaplain's
house. Queen post trusses with four wind braced purlins and ridge beam to
first floor and a similar roof to the Chapel.
The Chapel was endowed by the de Sutton family in 1524 and continued as a
Catholic Chapel under the Davenport and Bellasis families until 1716 when
it was converted to Anglican use by Thomas, Earl Falconberg of Newborough.
It ceased to operate as a Chapel in 1760 but was restored to its original
use as a Catholic Chapel in the 1950's.
Listing NGR: SJ9255571517
Other nearby listed buildings