This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5372 / 54°32'13"N
Longitude: -1.0474 / 1°2'50"W
OS Eastings: 461731
OS Northings: 516187
OS Grid: NZ617161
Mapcode National: GBR PH4Z.09
Mapcode Global: WHF8D.W7D1
Entry Name: Prior Pursglove College, Including Master's House, Gymnasium and Assembly Hall
Listing Date: 25 April 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159503
English Heritage Legacy ID: 59942
Location: Guisborough, Redcar and Cleveland, TS14
County: Redcar and Cleveland
Civil Parish: Guisborough
Built-Up Area: Guisborough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Guisborough St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: York
NZ6116 GUISBOROUGH CHURCH WALK
7/74 Prior Pursglove
Sixth Form College (originally: grammar school and school house).
1887. Alfred Waterhouse. Dressed sandstone ground floor, red
brick first floor; yellow terracotta dressings. Westmorland
slate roofs in diminishing courses; clay ridge crestings. 2
storeys. Tudor. Plinth. Mullioned and transomed casement windows
throughout. Chamfered string band between floors. First floor
sills continued as moulded string. Stepped brick corbelled
School: rectangular plan; asymmetrical. Off-centre (R.H.S.)
gabled dormer over slight projecting bay on corbels with 3-light
window over moulded drop-arched entrance passage, with granite
spur stones. To L.H.S. of entrance: 4 6-light ground floor
windows, 6 single lights to first floor. To R.H.S. : 2 cross-
windows to ground floor, 2 2-light windows above. 3 stacks.
Timber clock cupola on ridge, to R.H.S., with shallow copper
dome. Tablet above entrance arch records: "Founded in the reign
of Queen Elizabeth AD 1561 Guisborough Grammar School re-erected
in the reign of Queen Victoria AD 1887". Carved stones from
original buildings were built into foundations.
House: adjoins E. side of school. Balanced asymmetry. 3 bays:
L & R being wider than centre and gabled. L.H.S. projects
forward. 6-light windows to ground floor, 3-light to first
floor, single light to attic. Moulded strings across eaves line
of gables. Central doorway with moulded architrave and
shouldered fanlight. 2-light window above. Slate-roofed gabled
timber porch on turned shafts on stone dwarf-wall to plinth
height. Similar treatment to E. elevation. The listing
includes the gymnasium and assembly hall adjoining the N.& W.
sides of the school. Erected 1898 by Waterhouse in same style
(N. Pevsner, ".... North Riding", 1966, p179; & B.J.D.
Harrison & G. Dixon (Eds) "Guisborough Before 1900", 1981, pp.
144-148 & 225-227).
Listing NGR: NZ6168316214
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings