History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Box End House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Kempston Rural, Bedford

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1261 / 52°7'33"N

Longitude: -0.5251 / 0°31'30"W

OS Eastings: 501066

OS Northings: 248556

OS Grid: TL010485

Mapcode National: GBR G23.L2Q

Mapcode Global: VHFQ6.VT8J

Entry Name: Box End House

Listing Date: 8 September 1977

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1159567

English Heritage Legacy ID: 36971

Location: Kempston Rural, Bedford, MK43

County: Bedford

Civil Parish: Kempston Rural

Traditional County: Bedfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire

Church of England Parish: Kempston

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Stagsden

Listing Text

KEMPSTON RURAL BOX END ROAD
TL 04 NW (east side)

11/198 Box End House
8.9.1977
- II*

A late C16 timber-framed house probably of H-plan in origin but with right
hand cross wing removed and the gable end built up with stone rubble and the
left hand wing extended forward for one bay in the C17 or early C18. In 1847
a new principal range was built parallel with the original, facing south. The
original main wing is of two storeys with heavy close studding exposed to
front and internally on former rear elevation. Old clay tile roof. 2 storey
central gabled porch timber-framed and open on ground floor. Cross-mullionea
timber casements with leaded lights. Large stone chimney stack inserted into
left end with tall paired-shaft brick chimney stack, probably late C17. The
surviving cross wing has 2 bay C17 or early C18 timber-framed addition to left
hand with external stone chimney stack. The 1847 range is of 2 storeys
coursed stone rubble with ashlar dressings, Jacobean detailing. Gabled tile
roof with saddlestones and kneelers, crowned by chimneys with octagonal pairs
of shafts. 3 bay south garden front with 4-light lozenge-leaded stone
mullioned transomed windows to ground floor. 3-light similar windows, with 2-
light to centre, on first floor breaking through corbelled eaves, with
kneelered and finialed gables. Central shallow porch with moulded lintel and
3-light windows over. A weathered string is carved across the ground floor,
stepped up over window and porch. In one of the first floor rooms is an early
C17 wall-painting. It represents a bull-baiting scene, with a charging bull
in the centre surrounded by dogs, horsemen and hunters. The painting is
executed in monochrome distemper with the bull's and dogs' tongues coloured
red.


Listing NGR: TL0106648556

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.