History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

27 and 28, Low Green

A Grade II Listed Building in Gainford, County Durham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 54.5453 / 54°32'43"N

Longitude: -1.7385 / 1°44'18"W

OS Eastings: 417011

OS Northings: 516708

OS Grid: NZ170167

Mapcode National: GBR JH9W.DD

Mapcode Global: WHC5T.80CS

Entry Name: 27 and 28, Low Green

Listing Date: 14 September 1966

Last Amended: 4 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1159617

English Heritage Legacy ID: 111068

Location: Gainford, County Durham, DL2

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Gainford

Built-Up Area: Gainford

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Gainford

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(South side)

9/115 Nos. 27 and 28
14.9.66 (formerly listed as
The Vicarage)

Former vicarage now 2 dwellings. Early C18 with alterations and additions in
1864. Coursed sandstone rubble, dressed sandstone right return and rear; main
block has Welsh slate roof, wing attached to left has sandstone flag roof;
brick and stone stacks.

3-storey, 5-bay main block, the right bay, return and rear rebuilt in 1864.
Roughly-dressed quoins to left, tooled and margined quoins to right. Central
renewed 6-panel door in chamfered rusticated surround; flanking 4-pane sashes
have raised surrounds and projecting sills. Identical sashes to first floor
and small 4-pane sashes to second floor in similar surrounds. Low-pitched
roof has coped gables with shaped kneelers; two stepped and corniced stone
gable stacks and similar ridge stack. 2-storey, 3-bay wing attached to left
has C20 addition masking ground floor; first floor has 4-pane sashes in raised
surrounds. Low-pitched roof, hipped to left, has brick ridge stack. Right
return has similar fenestration and door lintel dated 1864. 2-storey, 3-bay rear
has central French window and flanking tripartite windows; central pair of
16-pane sashes flanked by single 16-pane sashes to first floor.

Listing NGR: NZ1701216709

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.