This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.7659 / 54°45'57"N
Longitude: -1.4698 / 1°28'11"W
OS Eastings: 434212
OS Northings: 541352
OS Grid: NZ342413
Mapcode National: GBR LF5B.LB
Mapcode Global: WHD5X.DGBQ
Entry Name: Church of St Cuthbert
Listing Date: 14 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159782
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110030
Location: Shadforth, County Durham, DH6
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Shadforth
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Shadforth and Sherburn
Church of England Diocese: Durham
SHADFORTH CHURCH LANE
NZ 34 SW
7/39 Church of
Parish church. 1834-40 by Thomas Jackson, died 1840, completed by his son
George. Consecration stone dated 1841 set in boiler-house lintel. Chancel
rebuilt 1889-91 by Hicks and Charlewood; one-bay west extension of nave
probably 1917 by Caroe. Coursed squared limestone, and rubble east nave
wall, with plinth and sandstone ashlar dressings; additions and alterations
of coursed squared limestone with similar plinth and dressings. Welsh slate
roof with stone gable copings. Nave with south porch; chancel with north
vestry. Double boarded doors in 2-centred-arched surround in gabled porch
with side buttresses. 3-bay nave has paired lancets in bays defined by tall,
shallow buttresses, their coping extending to corbel table. Tall gabled
buttresses between single lancets of 3-bay chancel. Clasping buttresses at
corners. Sill strings, stepped to triple stepped east lancets, continue
round buttresses. West lancets stepped over small west chamber with stepped
parapet over shouldered south door and 3 rectangular west windows; west
basement door to boiler room has re-used consecration stone. Roof has gabled
west bellcote with fleur-de-lys finial; cross finials to nave and chancel.
Block kneelers to steeply-pitched chancel roof.
Interior shows painted plaster with crenellated dado and ashlar dressings;
carved wood frieze to roof with king-post on collar; 2 strutted braces from
wall to rafter, and rafter to collar. Panelled chancel roof. Large double-
chamfered chancel arch and organ arch.
Brass panel in chancel commemorates insertion of 2 windows in nave, and
flooring of chancel in marble, in 1926; floor now boarded over. Monuments
include marble slab in nave to first rector, R.B.C. Blenkinsopp, signed
W.T. Hale, 448 Edgware Road, London W. Early C20 font with round stone bowl,
incised lettering on rim, of high quality. In vestry, carved wood font cover
dated 1896, and painted panel concerning building in 1839 and provision of
Source: H. Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840,
Listing NGR: NZ3421241352
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings