This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.144 / 53°8'38"N
Longitude: -2.3621 / 2°21'43"W
OS Eastings: 375877
OS Northings: 360825
OS Grid: SJ758608
Mapcode National: GBR 010.X73
Mapcode Global: WH9B0.P7DK
Entry Name: Sandbach Crosses
Listing Date: 11 August 1950
Last Amended: 27 April 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159937
English Heritage Legacy ID: 56244
Location: Sandbach, Cheshire East, CW11
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Sandbach
Built-Up Area: Sandbach
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Sandbach
Church of England Diocese: Chester
(In the Centre)
under Market Place)
SJ 7560 1/21 11.8.50.
Celebrated pair of Anglo-Saxon crosses. Probably early-mid C9. Original site
unknown and probably brought here in late Middle Ages. The crosses were thrown
down, either after the Reformation or during the Civil War and the parts dispersed. In 1816 they were recovered as far as possible and re-erected, the crosses being set in stone sockets and placed side-by-side on a 3-stepped stone base. The north, and taller, cross has a mutilated head and the south one a truncated shaft with mutilated head from another cross. Both crosses are decorated on all faces with carved figures, animals, vine scrolls etc, and the north cross has panels depicting biblical scenes. AM.
Listing NGR: SJ7587760825
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings