This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1816 / 50°10'53"N
Longitude: -5.4241 / 5°25'26"W
OS Eastings: 155643
OS Northings: 36897
OS Grid: SW556368
Mapcode National: GBR DXZ6.J7R
Mapcode Global: VH12M.XPVN
Entry Name: Charlotte House
Listing Date: 14 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159987
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70193
Location: Hayle, Cornwall, TR27
Civil Parish: Hayle
Built-Up Area: Hayle
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Erth
Church of England Diocese: Truro
HAYLE FOUNDRY HILL, Hayle
SW 5436 5536
12/262 Nos. 52 and 54 (Charlotte House)
House. Circa 1804, remodelled early C19 and later C19. Stuccoed or possibly
render replacing stucco. Asbestos slate hipped roofs with projecting eaves and
cast-iron ogee gutters. Partly external stack at left-hand side with rendered
brick chimney over; pair of octagonal stuccoed chimney shaft over right-hand
side and brick chimney over original end of wing towards rear on right.
Plan: Double depth plan plus C20 extensions. 2 reception rooms at the garden
front; stair hall behind left-hand room, probably original kitchen behind
Exterior: 2 storeys. Regular 2 window garden front with granite plinth. The
left-hand bay is bowed and there is a canted bay window to the ground floor of
each bay. In front of the ground floor to a mid-late C19 4-bay verandah with
ornate cast-iron stanchions, the verandah returns at either end both to cover
the entrance doorway and for a distance at the other side. The transomed
ground floor windows are probably contemporary with the verandah and have diagonal and square patterned glazing to the casements. First floor windows
have similar glazing to the top lights only. The entrance front (left-hand
wall) has doorway with pair of C19 panelled doors and overlight with diamond panes all within an early C19 moulded doorcase with corner blocks.
Interior: Parts inspected have all their early C19 carpentry and joinery
details and plasterwork including: dog-leg stair with open string; cornice
with modillions in the stair hall; cornices with trailing bands and 6-panel doors.
Charlotte House was the home of Jane Trevithick (nee Jane Harvey) wife of
Richard Trevithick, the famous engineer, probably during the period of circa
1836 until 1868.
Listing NGR: SW5564336896
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings