This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2448 / 52°14'41"N
Longitude: -0.6308 / 0°37'50"W
OS Eastings: 493582
OS Northings: 261616
OS Grid: SP935616
Mapcode National: GBR DZ8.9B3
Mapcode Global: VHFPL.0VW0
Entry Name: Park Farmhouse and Adjoining Barn
Listing Date: 27 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1160579
English Heritage Legacy ID: 37164
Location: Podington, Bedford, NN29
Civil Parish: Podington
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Podington with Farndish
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
PODINGTON HINWICK VILLAGE
17/395 Park Farmhouse and
Farmhouse and barn. Earliest part of building in S.W. corner date 1597 on
W. gable. This house was extended and altered in C18. First eastwards;
datestone 1704 in N. gable end. Then in 1795 a further wing was built out
northwards. All of the work was carried out in coursed limestone rubble. Now
all the roofs are clad in clay tiles, though the later additions were once
thatched (VCH). All gables have stone coping. Mainly two storeys, though N.
wing partly two storeys and attics. Windows are all late C19 sashes without
glazing bars. They are asymmetrically positioned except to E. elevation.
Here, there are four first floor sashes. The ground floor has three sashes
and doorway with a trelliswork porch which has decorated bargeboards. N.
elevation has one small gabled dormer. The late C18 wing has incised
datestone in N. gable end O.B. 1795. Also there is incorporated a C14
crocketed canopy head and small crocketed ogee-panelled head. In the E. wall
are other fragments of mediaeval masonry. These are said to have come from
Banbury church which was demolished late C18. The then Mr Orlebar brought a
cart load of material from there (VCH). At the back of the farmhouse is a
rubble stone barn dated 1750 in W. gable end. This was originally thatched
but now has a concrete tile roof.
Listing NGR: SP9358261616
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings