This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1621 / 50°9'43"N
Longitude: -5.4406 / 5°26'26"W
OS Eastings: 154365
OS Northings: 34786
OS Grid: SW543347
Mapcode National: GBR DXY7.W52
Mapcode Global: VH12T.N631
Entry Name: Tredrea Manor Farmhouse Including Garden Wall and Railings at Front
Listing Date: 14 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1160602
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70291
Location: St. Erth, Cornwall, TR27
Civil Parish: St. Erth
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Erth
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 53 SW
6/200 Tredrea Manor Farmhouse including
- garden wall and railings at front
Manor house including adjoining garden walls and railings at front. C17, largely or
possibly wholely rebuilt circa 1750 for Henry Davies. Granite ashlar front,
otherwise granite rubble with granite dressings and incorporating some C17 dressed
granite fragments; some slatehanging to gables. Asbestos slate and grouted scantle
slate roofs with gable ends except for hipped roof over stair and half hip, far
right. Brick chimneys over the gable ends. Cast iron ogee gutters.
Plan: Overall irregular plan: 2 parlours at the front with wide entrance hall
between leading to projecting stair hall wing. Behind the left-hand room is a lean-
to dovecote with external access; behind the right-hand room is an axial passage
linked to a one-room-plan wing set back on the right and wide service wing at right
angles behind the right-hand corner. This wing contains a large kitchen, dairy and
rear entrance hall. Adjoining to the left of the rear left-hand corner of this wing
is a washhouse with former service accommodation in the roof space.
Exterior: 2-Storeys. Symmetrical 5 window south south east front with central
doorway. Granite ashlar with deeper granite quoins; flat arches with projecting
keystones and modillioned eaves cornice. Circa mid-late C19 door with flush-beaded
bottom panels and 9 panes above lock rail. Old open-fronted gable-ended brick porch.
2 original 12-pane hornless sashes with thick glazing bars at first floor right,
otherwise circa early C19 copies with thinner glazing bars.
3 other C18 windows survive at the first floor of the right-hand side of the house:
12-pane sash (right hand wall of small wing) 24-pane 3-light casement (right hand
wall of outshut between wings) and 8-pane light (front wall of rear wing over
doorway). Other windows are mostly C19 hornless sashes with glazing bars including 2
groups of 3 sashes divided by mullions to wide opening to kitchen and chamber over in
left-hand wall of service wing. C19 panelled doors to entrances at rear. All the
elevations of the house are interesting and unspoiled.
Interior: Much of the original C18 carpentry, joinery and plasterwork survives
including: dog-leg stair with closed string, moulded handrail and column turned
balusters; 6-panel doors with 2 of the panels forming a wide lock rail and fine
plaster ceiling in the right hand parlour divided by double bands into round central
panel with leaf carved central rose and corner panels with arabesques in shallow
relief. First floor and roof structure not inspected but said to be original.
Adjoining the small wing on the right and returning for a short distance to the front
is a low rubble wall with old dowelled railings above. The posts have urn finials.
Tredrea was once the home of a family of the same name, in the C17 owned by the St
Aubyns who leased it to a Matthew Phillips. One of his daughters married Mr John
Davies, younger brother of Henry Davies of Bosence. The Davies line led by marriage
to Davies Giddy MP who took the name of Gilbert in 1824. Davies Gilbert wrote the
Parochial History of Cornwall (1838). He also was a mathematician and helped
Jonathan Hornblower in his work on designing pumps and other mining machinery.
Tredrea is an interesting example of a small C18 manor house, fashionable at the
front, traditional at the rear and largely unaltered since the C18. Compare Gear and
Kerrow Farmhouse qv, nearby.
Sources: Parochial History of Cornwall, Davies Gilbert, 1838 ; Hichens and Davies.
(Information taken from extracts supplied by the occupier)
Listing NGR: SW5436534786
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings