This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.7743 / 54°46'27"N
Longitude: -1.577 / 1°34'37"W
OS Eastings: 427305
OS Northings: 542230
OS Grid: NZ273422
Mapcode National: GBR KFF7.CC
Mapcode Global: WHC4Q.R86B
Entry Name: Old Grammar School (University Music Department)
Listing Date: 6 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1160796
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110404
Location: County Durham, DH1
County: County Durham
Electoral Ward/Division: Elvet and Gilesgate
Built-Up Area: Durham
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE PALACE GREEN
NZ 2742 SW (West side)
14/348 Old Grammar School
6/5/52 (University Music
School, now university department. Founded 1541; rebuilt 1661 for Bishop
Cosin, western part schoolmaster's house altered early C18. C19 additions
include windows of 1844 by Pickering. Rainwater heads 1899 on house and
front wing. Sandstone, coursed and squared on main elevations, rubble at
rear, with ashlar and red sandstone dressings; some brick dressings and rear
patching. Stone-flagged roofs have stone gable copings and brick chimneys.
School: one high storey, 4 bays. Chamfered Tudor-arched surrounds, with
alternate-block jambs and label moulds, to ledged boarded door in first bay
and blocked door in third bay. High renewed 3 x 4-light stone-mullioned-and-
transomed windows in second and third bays, in double-chamfered reveals, under
label moulds breaking eaves in half-dormers which have gables on cyma-moulded
kneelers. Battlemented cast-iron rainwater heads, one dated 1864.
House: 2 storeys, 6 bays with left wing projecting from first bay. C17
chamfered Tudor-arched stone surround to 6-panel door in fourth bay; early C18
wood doorcase of architrave, pulvinated frieze and cornice. Sashes with glazing
bars have renewed thin wood sills on ground floor and sloping stone sills on
first, with flat brick arches on ground floor and header-course lintels on first.
Steeply-pitched roof has slightly swept eaves; renewed brick chimney between
fourth and fifth bays. Later left wing has Tudor-arched door and slit window
in left wall with flat coping, and tripartite stone-mullioned window at right
under stone bracketed eaves. C18 extruded porch has door blocked and window
Interior of school: plastered above plain panelled dado; roof scarfed
principals on wood brackets; C19 beams. Generations of schoolboys' names
carved in dado and window sills.
Interior of house: dog-leg stair, on lower central wall, has closed string with
pulvinated frieze on lower flight and overlapping boards on upper flights;
column balusters; lower handrail renewed, upper with low grip moulding. Panelled
dado to stairs, vestibule and ground floor right room; architraves, arched doors,
double and repeated to principal room which has Corinthian columns supporting
enriched cornice of chimneypiece, and dentilled ceiling cornice. Bolection
moulded doors and architraves in this room. Many 2-panelled doors.
A scheduled ancient monument.
Listing NGR: NZ2741842212
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings