This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.2081 / 50°12'29"N
Longitude: -5.1091 / 5°6'32"W
OS Eastings: 178248
OS Northings: 38853
OS Grid: SW782388
Mapcode National: GBR ZB.2528
Mapcode Global: FRA 085G.Z83
Entry Name: Tullimaar
Listing Date: 30 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1161008
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63616
Location: Perranarworthal, Cornwall, TR3
Civil Parish: Perranarworthal
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Stithians
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 73 NE PERRANARWORTHAL PERRANARWORTHAL
Country house. Circa 1828. Built for Benjamin Sampson, manager of a local powder
factory. Stuccoed rubble walls. Hipped dry Delabole slate roofs around central
leaded valley. Wide eaves, cast iron ogee and stuccoed chimneys with cornices over
cross and axial walls.
Plan: central entrance leading to large stair hall with 3 principal rooms to right
facing the garden and a larger room to the left of the entrance. The kitchen behind
the hall has service room in a wing to its left and to rear. Circa early C20
conservatory projecting from left-hand corner of entrance front. Neo classical
2 storeys. All fronts with plinth, string and square cornice and with corner
pilasters. Symmetrical 3-bay 3-window south garden front with pilasters dividing
bays and window within basket arched recesses. Symmetrical 3-window east garden
front with windows set in rectangular recesses. Regular west 2:1:1 bay 4-window
entrance front with windows in recesses like south front. Round-headed doorway to
third bay from left has original fanlight with flower petal panes. Fine Doric porch
with unfluted columns and plain frieze. All windows, except for round-headed stair
sash, are 12-pane original hornless sashes with thin glazing bars or later horned
Interior is virtually complete with its C19 carpentry, joinery, some chimney pieces
and plasterwork: mahogany 6-panel doors, open-well open-string stair and moulded
plaster cornices to principal reception rooms, stair hall and chambers. Cornices and
bands to reception rooms and stair hall with carved classical enrichments including
egg and dart, acanthus, and trailing or plaited detail. Central roses to left and
right reception rooms and stair hall. In the kitchen is a fine classical dresser.
In the central east room there is a commemorative plaque with 'A shot was fired
through this window by a sentry Running Amok 1944'.
This incident occurred whilst General Eisenhower was using the house as his personal
headquarters before D-Day.
Tullimaar has been the home of many distinguished residents or guests including Sarah
Parkin, mistress to George III, who spent her last years here; the Reverend Francis
Kilvert who stayed here in 1870 and more recently, from 1957-1974 was owned by
Princess Marthe Bibesco and her married daughter Princess Valentine Ghika (direct
descendants of the Emperor Napoleon) and Prince Ghika. It is stated in the estate
agents sale particulars of 1974 that the interior of the house was completely
transformed in the French style during this period, but the present interior seems to
be typical of what early C19 houses in England should be. Perhaps the description
refers to the furnishings.
Other historical information from present owner and the N.M.R. A fine and virtually
complete early C19 house in well planted grounds overlooking the beautiful Kennal
Listing NGR: SW7824838853
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings