This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.6521 / 53°39'7"N
Longitude: -0.0836 / 0°5'1"W
OS Eastings: 526755
OS Northings: 418990
OS Grid: TA267189
Mapcode National: GBR WVV6.PK
Mapcode Global: WHHHD.PGCM
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 27 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1161190
English Heritage Legacy ID: 166621
Location: Sunk Island, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU12
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Sunk Island
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Ottringham with Sunk Island St Wilfrid
Church of England Diocese: York
SUNK ISLAND EAST BANK ROAD
TA 21 NE
10/79 Church of The Holy
Parish church. 1876-7 by Ewan Christian. Red brick in English bond with
sandstone ashlar bands to nave; limestone ashlar dressings. Westmorland
slate roof. 4-bay nave with short passage to south-west porch tower, 2-bay
apsidal chancel with vestry adjoining to north side. Chamfered plinth.
Single buttress between nave and chancel with tumbled-in brick to offsets.
2-stage tower: tall first stage has pointed chamfered south doorway beneath
brick hoodmould with ashlar stops, single lancet above; single lancet to
west; apsidal stair turret to east with slit-lights, dentilled cornice and
half-conical roof with ashlar fleur-de-lys finial. Moulded string course.
2-light plate-traceried belfry openings with pierced roundels above twin
lancets, continuous pointed hoodmould, stepped and cogged brick cornice,
short pyramidal spire with ball finial and weather-cock. Passage between
tower and nave has single lancets. Nave: single lancets and stepped triple
lancet to south, single lancets to north, large plate-traceried west window
with tall central lancet flanked by pairs of shorter lancets with pierced
roundels above, beneath pointed arch and hoodmould. Single lancets to
chancel. All windows in chamfered brick reveals with ashlar sills and
imposts, continuous brick hoodmoulds; some windows to chancel have wrought-
iron bars with fleur-de-lys finials. Vestry has square-headed east door,
ornate chimney with corbelled shafts, moulded string course and corbelled
head. Continuous roof with deep eaves and exposed rafter ends, stone-coped
west gable with shaped kneelers. Interior. Porch has pointed triple-
chamfered inner arch, passage has pointed chamfered door to nave. Nave open
to chancel, with round arch to chancel of twin moulded timber ribs with
panelled soffit, on square brick piers with scalloped ashlar capitals.
Pointed roll-moulded arch with hoodmould to vestry. Scissor-braced roof to
nave, ceiled half-domed wagon roof to chancel with brattished wall-plate and
herringbone timber panels. Minton tiles to chancel. Oak altar rail on
ornate cast-iron supports. Stained glass of 1889-90. Marble wall tablets
re-set from earlier church: to Ann Grayburn of 1846 with draped urn, to
William Johnson of 1846 with books in moulded pediment, to Mary Lambert of
1836 with pediment and dove, similar tablet to John Lambert of 1850. One of
Christian's more accomplished churches, contemporary with his neighbouring
vicarage (qv). Declared redundant c1983. N Pevsner, The Buildings of
England: Yorkshire, East Riding, 1972, p 352; Victoria County History: York,
East Riding, vol 5, 1984, p 139.
Listing NGR: TA2675518990
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings