This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.8931 / 53°53'35"N
Longitude: -0.547 / 0°32'49"W
OS Eastings: 495584
OS Northings: 445076
OS Grid: SE955450
Mapcode National: GBR SRMF.C5
Mapcode Global: WHGDW.KDRV
Plus Code: 9C5XVFV3+66
Entry Name: Dalton Hall
Listing Date: 6 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1161304
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164559
Location: Dalton Holme, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU17
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Dalton Holme
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Dalton Holme St Mary
Church of England Diocese: York
In the entry for
"NMR Photographs." be added as last sentence
DALTON HOLME DALTON PARK
SE 94 NE
2/24 Dalton Hall
House. Before 1737, entirely rebuilt and extended 1771-5 by Thomas Atkinson
for Lord Hotham. Grey brick with stone dressings, slate roofs. Main block
of 3 storeys, 5 bays, with single-storey 3-bay flanking wings to pavilions:
the south, of 2 storeys, 3 x 3 bays, the north of single storey, 3 x 3 bays.
Main range: ground floor: hexastyle portico with entablature and blocking
course to 2-leaf panelled door and fanlight with radial glazing in
architrave. Four 2-pane sashes with margin-pane glazing and sills under
floating cornices. First floor: narrow sill band. Five 2-pane sashes with
margin-pane glazing: the centre sash in chambranles under a segmental
pediment, the outer sashes under floating cornices. Second floor: 5 small
2-pane sashes with margin-pane glazing and sills, central one in shouldered
architrave, the others below flat brick arches. Dentilled cornice.
Balustraded parapet with central achievement of arms and urns to piers. End
stacks with cornices, hipped roof. Linking wings: each has three 2-pane
sashes with margin-pane glazing under floating cornices. Balustraded
parapet. To the angle with the pavilions on each side is a door and
fanlight in a bow-fronted porch with detached columns under a similar,
lower, balustraded parapet. Pavilions: south pavilion. Three 2-pane sashes
with margin-pane glazing under floating cornices, the central one on
brackets. First-floor band and narrow sill band. First floor: 3 similar,
smaller sashes. Dentilled eaves and raked cornices to pediment with oval
cartouche containing carved merman. Balustraded parapet to north and south,
large axial stack with cornice. North pavilion: three 2-pane sashes with
margin-pane glazing and floating cornices, the central one on brackets.
Band to coped parapet. All ground and first-floor windows in architraves.
Interior: although extensively remodelled c1840 and again c1954 the house
retains a number of original features including some fine late C18 marble
fireplaces and complete series of excellent internal doors with beaded
panelling. There are extensive cellars beneath the Hall some of which
clearly belong to an earlier structure on the site: presumably that shown in
an engraving of 1737. Vitruvius Britannicus Vol IV, 1739, plates 90-91.
Listing NGR: SE9558445076
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings