This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.8968 / 53°53'48"N
Longitude: -0.5299 / 0°31'47"W
OS Eastings: 496701
OS Northings: 445513
OS Grid: SE967455
Mapcode National: GBR SRRC.2V
Mapcode Global: WHGDW.TBW0
Entry Name: The Almshouses
Listing Date: 26 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1161342
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164565
Location: Dalton Holme, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU17
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Dalton Holme
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Dalton Holme St Mary
Church of England Diocese: York
DALTON HOLME MAIN STREET (South Dalton)
SE 94 NE
2/30 The Almshouses
Almshouses. 1873 on inscribed stone. Coursed rock-faced ashlar with
dressed stone, tiled roof, timber verandah and dormers. L-shaped range of
7 irregular bays with projecting 2-bay chapel to north end. Boarded doors
in pointed surrounds flanked by six 3-light mullioned windows and a single
4-light mullioned window to the north end. Pointed service passage to
bay 2. Verandah on turned wooden posts carried on a coped dwarf wall. Roof
dormers each with 3 ogee-headed lights under timber-framed gablets with
carved barge boards. Paired octagonal axial stacks, raised coped gables.
Chapel: boarded door in pointed arch to right: to left a 2-light mullioned
window; external stack with offsets beneath octagonal flue to centre.
Square bay with 4-light mullioned window, all lights with ogee arches.
Coped gables with ornate finials. Inscribed tablet on external stack:
TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN / MEMORY OF CHARLES LORD HOTHAM / THESE FOUR
COTTAGES FOR THE / COMFORT OF THE AGED OR INFIRM OF / THIS UNITED PARISH OF
DALTON HOLME / ARE BUILT BY HIS BROTHER A.D. 1873.
West window: pointed, of 2 lights with transom. Lower lights have
cinquefoil heads, the upper have trefoil heads.
Listing NGR: SE9670245511
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings