This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.4532 / 53°27'11"N
Longitude: -0.1312 / 0°7'52"W
OS Eastings: 524192
OS Northings: 396781
OS Grid: TF241967
Mapcode National: GBR WXJH.DV
Mapcode Global: WHHJB.YGPL
Entry Name: Church of All Hallows
Listing Date: 4 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1161343
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164417
Location: Wold Newton, North East Lincolnshire, LN8
County: North East Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: Wold Newton
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Wold Newton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
TF 29 NW WOLD NEWTON MAIN STREET
(west side, off)
Church of All Hallows
Parish church. 1862 by James Fowler of Louth, incorporating re-used
medieval masonry. Squared ironstone with limestone ashlar dressings. Slate
roof. 3-bay nave with west bellcote, south porch and single-bay apsidal
chancel with vestry adjoining north side. Plinth, cill stringcourse,
buttresses. Nave: 2-light plate-traceried windows with trefoils above
lancets, stepped lancets to west within pointed ashlar panel. Octagonal
ashlar bellcote corbelled-out from west gable, with side buttresses, shafted
belfry openings and octagonal spirelet with miniature plate-traceried
lucarnes and wrought iron cross finial. Lancets to chancel. Porch: moulded
pointed outer door with small medieval carved stone figure re-set above.
Interior. Painted shafts supporting double-chamfered chancel arch with
painted rood screen bearing carved figures. Inscribed floor slabs at west
end to Richard William Welfitt of 1716 and Maria Welfitt of 1717. Mid C14
font with octagonal bowl, column and base, the bowl carved with quatrefoil
panels and inscribed in Latin "Pray for the souls of John and Johanna
Curteys". Architectural fragments: series of eight Cll-C15 capitals and
corbels with scalloped, stiff-leaf and plain mouldings re-set into nave and
chancel walls, carrying C20 painted carved figures and with brass memorial
plaques below; one corbel labelled "Bardney Abbey". C14 stained glass
fragments re-set in trefoil of south window. Panels of medieval and post-
medieval stained glass with central figures surrounded by mixed fragments
are attached to the south and west windows. The architectural fragments
were probably collected by W M Wright, 1873-1956. Painting dated 1861
hanging in nave shows former church with blocked south arcade. Sections of
this building were reputed to have been incorporated in the south wall,
though Fowler's plans indicate a complete rebuilding. N Pevsner and J
Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 428.
Listing NGR: TF2419296781
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings