This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5729 / 52°34'22"N
Longitude: -0.2417 / 0°14'30"W
OS Eastings: 519256
OS Northings: 298683
OS Grid: TL192986
Mapcode National: GBR HZP.RPD
Mapcode Global: WHHNK.8L4D
Entry Name: 3-5, Minster Precincts
Listing Date: 7 February 1952
Last Amended: 17 March 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1161461
English Heritage Legacy ID: 49637
Location: Peterborough, PE1
County: City of Peterborough
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Peterborough
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Peterborough St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
In the entry for:
TL 1998 NW
1/11 Nos 3 to 5 (consec)
The entry shall be amended to read:
TL 1998 NW PETERBOROUGH MINSTER PRECINCTS
819- /1/11 I Nos. 3-5 (Consecutive)
07/02/52 (Formerly listed as: Peterborough
Precincts Nos 3-5 (Consecutive))
Terrace of 3 houses, now flats. 1726, for Earl Fitzwilliam. Yellow brick with redbrick and ashlar
dressings. Collyweston slate M roof with end stacks. 3 storeys, attics and basements. 9-window
range in all of sashes with glazing bars, under red brick segmental arches. Doorcases have
semi-circular broken pediments on reeded pilasters and 6-panel doors, some partly glazed. Steps
with iron railings to front gardens, formerly school playground raised on brick barrell vaults
formerly used for storage. INTERIORS. Dogleg staircases with turned balusters. Raised and
fielded dado and full panelling in halls, on staircases and in many rooms, and corner fireplaces
in several. These houses, formerly known as The School Houses, were built for Earl Fitzwilliam
as dormitories for the Kings School, and the modification of the terrace house plan to permit
access across the houses reflects this use.
Nos 3 to 5 (consec)
TL 1998 NW 1/11 7.2.52.
Late C18. 3 storeys and attics in yellow and red brick. Parapet with 9
blind panels. Ashlar cornice and band between ground and 1st floor. 4
dormers, pedimented, the 2 inner ones having semi-circular pediments, casements.
9 windows, red brick rusticated segmental arches. Some glazing bars to
No 3. Doorways with broken semi-circular pediments on reeded pilasters flank
6-Panel doors with some glass panels. Steps with iron rail to raised gardens.
The Great Gate, Chapel of St Thomas, Archway to Dean's Court and
Nos 1 to 10 (consec) form a group.
Listing NGR: TL1925698683
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings