This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3889 / 53°23'19"N
Longitude: -2.5939 / 2°35'38"W
OS Eastings: 360597
OS Northings: 388168
OS Grid: SJ605881
Mapcode National: GBR BYB7.7X
Mapcode Global: WH98R.422V
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 6 December 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1161522
English Heritage Legacy ID: 58842
Location: Warrington, WA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Bewsey and Whitecross
Built-Up Area: Warrington
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Warrington Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
704/1/122 SANKEY STREET
06-DEC-49 (South side)
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
Church, 1758 and 1862, church in the style of James Gibb, west tower by W P Coron. Four bays, rusticated sandstone on north and east fronts, brick with sandstone plinth, quoins and dressings to south and west, tower in north-west corner in brick and stone.
EXTERIOR: North and east fronts have first floor Ionic pilasters, semi-circular headed windows with Gibbs surrounds on ground floor cornice and parapet. Entrance at west end of north side has plain double doors, semi-circular fanlight, Tuscan Doric columns and triangular pediment. Tower is octagonal on a square brick base, with louvers and balusters, clock turret with cupola finish and weather vane.
INTERIOR: Chancel area is wood panelled, The Palladian east window has stained glass showing crucifixion scenes and pillars decorated with garlands picked out in gold. Below the window on the panelling is an inscription 'To the glory of God and in honoured memory of those who fell in the Great War 1914-1919'. Below to each side is a list of those who fell in the Second World War 1939-1945. In the centre is a wooden pulpit with steps up on either side and turned balusters. To the right is a smaller, eighteenth century pulpit with turned balusters. Low wooden altar rail with balusters. The nave, also panelled, has original box pews, and a three-sided balcony also with box pews, supported on pillars encased in wood. Stone font in the shape of a bulbous baluster with metal lid. Large brass chandelier formerly in St Stephen's Chapel in the House of Commons, given to the church in 1801. Some of the windows have stained glass. Central part of roof has dentilated cornice and ceiling rose. The balcony has Corinthian columns supporting the roof and the organ loft in the north-east corner. The imperial style stair to the balcony and tower is also original. The south side of the nave has been partitioned off from the body of the church by wood and glass screens, to form separate meeting rooms, vestry and toilets.
Holy Trinity church, Nos 19 to 25 (odd) form a group.
Pevsner, N, Buildings of England, Lancashire vol I, The Industrial and Commercial South, 1969
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings