This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.685 / 50°41'6"N
Longitude: -4.5419 / 4°32'30"W
OS Eastings: 220535
OS Northings: 90344
OS Grid: SX205903
Mapcode National: GBR NB.636H
Mapcode Global: FRA 17C8.JC5
Entry Name: Church of St Werburgha
Listing Date: 22 November 1960
Last Amended: 11 January 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1161531
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68136
Location: Warbstow, Cornwall, PL15
Civil Parish: Warbstow
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Jacobstow
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 29 SW
3/249 Church of St Werburgha (previously
listed as Church of St Werburgh)
Church dedicated to St Werburgha. Probably Norman origins. C15 tower and north
aisle. Restored in 1861.
Stone rubble with moulded plinth. Roughly coursed and dressed stone to west tower
and north aisle. Granite ashlar south porch. Slate roofs.
Plan: Nave, chancel, west tower, 5-bay north aisle and north porch. The church has
Norman origins, the-west tower and north aisle added in circa late C15 and the north
porch in 1601 (datestone). Restored in 1861.
Exterior: Unbuttressed west tower of 2 stages, with battlemented parapet and corner
finials. No west door,the west window possibly reset or reduced with a multiple
moulded arch and jambs. 2-light cusped belfry openings with slate louvers. Nave has
3 square headed 3-light Perpendicular windows. Chancel has circa C13 2-light window
and reset possibly C12 lancet window. C19 chancel window. The north aisle has
complete circa late C15 Perpendicular 3-light windows and the north porch was added
in 1601 with a 4-centred outer arch and has incised spandrels and datestone above.
The gable parapet has scrolled kneelers. Inner doorway has a 2-centred arch,
probably Polyphant stone with cavetto moulding decorated with raised carved fleurons;
the arch was probably reset from the nave when the north aisle was added. Incised
cross in roundel to right of right hand jamb. Niche above entrance with base of
Interior: C19. Plastered walls and C19 roofs. Type A (Pevsner) granite piers to
the 5-bay north arcade with moulded caps and bases and 4-centred granite moulded
arches. Simple C19 furnishings. Norman font; square bowl with stylised floral
patterns on the four sides and carved heads on the corners. Octagonal stem and round
Pevsner, N. and Radcliffe, E. The Buildings of England, Cornwall 2nd edition 1970.
Sedding, E.H. Norman Architecture in Cornwall
Listing NGR: SX2053590344
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings