History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Braunton, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1128 / 51°6'46"N

Longitude: -4.1593 / 4°9'33"W

OS Eastings: 248946

OS Northings: 137052

OS Grid: SS489370

Mapcode National: GBR KL.B448

Mapcode Global: VH3Q7.V9H8

Entry Name: Church House

Listing Date: 25 February 1965

Last Amended: 14 November 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1161569

English Heritage Legacy ID: 98311

Location: Braunton, North Devon, Devon, EX33

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Braunton

Built-Up Area: Braunton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Braunton St Brannock

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Wrafton

Listing Text

SS 4837-4937 BRAUNTON CHURCH STREET (west side)
Braunton
11/69 Church House formerly listed as
- Old Parish Room (or Challoner's
25.2.65 School)

GV II*

Church house, now museum with office over. Probably C16 and apparently altered in
C18 when it became Challoner's School. Whitewashed rubble with gable-ended rag
slate roof and gabled slated pentice over 2 flights of external stone steps to
first floor entrance. Rectangular plan. 2 storeys. 5 window front bay. 2 C19
brick stacks offset on west side and at south gable end both reduced in height.
South end has large gateway opening with chamfered timber beam over and gates of 2
leaves To right are 4 wide blocked openings with timber lintels formerly open
shambles. Second from left has inserted wooden 2-light casement ferrimenta. Above
are 5 wooden 2-light casements. 2 to left are replacements and have small diamond-
leaded panes, those to right all have diamond-leaded panes and external ferrimenta.
The centre opening of the 3 is square-headed. Those to each side are C16 4-centred
arches and hollow chamfered frames. West facade has a 3-light wooden casement (12
panes each light) above curving timber beam to gateway. To left are two
replacement 2-light wood casements with diamond-leaded cames. All first floor
windows have timber lintels. Below are 3 unevenly spaced windows with deep reveals
each with 16-paned metal casements and grill bars. At each corner of the north
gable to the main range are 2 dressed quoins below eaves that to east side having
angular octofoil to east face and bishops head with mitre on north face. The
smaller stone on west side has raised cross on west face and crowned king on north
face. In the apex of the gable is a further stone bearing design of cross within a
circle. Slate treads on rubble risers at north gable end lead to 4-centred arch
wooden doorway with chamfered and stopped jambs and plank door. Pentil is open on
gable end with original truss of principals with short curved feet and plain
purlins. This is identical to the 4 trusses in the main range with unmoulded
principals and plain wall plates.


Listing NGR: SS4894637052

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.