History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

20, High Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Barrington, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1279 / 52°7'40"N

Longitude: 0.0351 / 0°2'6"E

OS Eastings: 539408

OS Northings: 249689

OS Grid: TL394496

Mapcode National: GBR L84.HPT

Mapcode Global: VHHKF.KSF3

Entry Name: 20, High Street

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Last Amended: 18 October 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1161639

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52063

Location: Barrington, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB22

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Barrington

Built-Up Area: Barrington

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Barrington All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Shepreth

Listing Text

TL 39 49 BARRINGTON HIGH STREET
(North side)

17/18 No 20 formerly
listed as Candlestick)
22.11.67

GV II


Cottage. Two building periods in late C17. Timber framed plaster rendered
on brick and clunch plinth with long straw thatch roof and red brick ridge
stack. Single range and lobby entry plan. One storey and attic. Three
dormers, including two with gables. Horizontal sliding sashes with small
panes. At ground floor, four windows including a similar C19 horizontal
sliding sash. C19 panelled door to lobby entry. Bay to the east is . -
probably an addition of late C17. Framed and plaster rendered. The studwork
of the original east gable and wall was partly renewed when the bay was
added. Inside: abutting, contemporary clunch and red brick inglenook
hearths. One ground floor now with run-out stop chamfered joists. Another
probably with the ceiling inserted later. Original house in three structural
bays and a narrower bay for the chimney (similar to No. 48, West Green.) The
later C17 bay was used as a butchers shop. This and the other cottages on
the north side of the High Street form an encroachment on the Green probably
begun c.1650.

R.C.H.M. West Cambs. Hon. (31)


Listing NGR: TL3940649689

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.