This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3679 / 50°22'4"N
Longitude: -4.528 / 4°31'40"W
OS Eastings: 220316
OS Northings: 55055
OS Grid: SX203550
Mapcode National: GBR NC.V6R2
Mapcode Global: FRA 18D2.9SR
Entry Name: Church of St Nonna
Listing Date: 21 August 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1161660
English Heritage Legacy ID: 61634
Location: Pelynt, Cornwall, PL13
Civil Parish: Pelynt
Built-Up Area: Pelynt
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Pelynt
Church of England Diocese: Truro
PELYNT CHURCHTOWN, Pelynt
SX 25 NW
2/169 Church of St Nonna
Parish church dedicated to St Nonna. West tower possibly C14, partly remodelled in
C15. 4-bay nave, chancel, north aisle and south transept probably rebuilt in C15.
Arcade of north aisle remodelled in circa 1680. Church restored by J P St Aubyn in
1879-83 when much of south transept rebuilt, masonry of the nave was restored,
tracery partly replaced or restored, south porch rebuilt and vestry to south of
West tower of coursed stone with moulded granite plinth and angle buttresses with
set-offs. Much of nave and east wall of chancel restored coursed stone with moulded
plinth. Stone rubble masonry to north aisle with lower moulded plinth. West wall
of north aisle rebuilt. Slate roofs with nave and chancel in one. Vestry to south
of chancel beneath leaf-to roof, continuing slope of chancel roof.
Much of tracery restored or replaced in C19. South elevation with C19 3-light
rectangular window to west of south porch. South transept with C19 6-light mullion
window and C19 door on east beneath C19 2-centred arch. Vestry with 2 C19 3-light
mullion windows with cusped heads. Chancel with 3-light Perpendicular tracery with
restored hoodmould and east end of north aisle with restored 3-light Perpendicular
tracery. North aisle with circa C15 Perpendicular tracery comprising four 3-light
windows beneath 2-centred arches. West tower of 3 stages with battlemented parapet
with octagonal turrets and finials surmounted by balls. Carved panels at base of
angle buttresses. West door with 3-centred outer arch and 4-centred cavetto moulded
inner arch. Late C19 double plank doors. Above, 3-light uncusped Perpendicular
tracery. Opening on east side in second stage with C14 ogee headed light with
rectangular hoodmould. above. 3-light belfry openings with Perpendicular tracery
beneath 4-centred arches,and with slate louvres. C19 south porch with 2-centred
arched opening. South, entrance with C19 2-centred arch with C19 plank door.
Interior Waggon roof to nave and chancel. Ceiled in circa 1810. Stained original
carved bosses of high quality. Plastered moulded arcade and wallplate. North aisle
and south transept with circa C19 boarded waggon roof with reused and C19 carved
bosses. Dated boss in north aisle 1879 and in south transept 1882. 4-bay arcade
with medieval piers replaced in circa 1680, probably by Bishop Jonathan Trelawney. 4
ellipitical arches with large plain keystone and plain soffits on classical
cylindrical granite monolithic piers of Tuscan order. Tower arch slightly higher
than nave roof. 2-centred moulded arch on moulded corbels.
Furnishings late C19:and C20. Octagonal font of Pentewan stone decorated with
quatrefoils. Lead-lined round bowl.
South transept comprises the Trelawney aisle containing the family vault which was
opened in 1833 to reveal velvet covered coffins, silver nails and gilt plates
together with trophies of gauntlets, helmets and escutcheons. On display in the
transept are the gilded staff carried at Bishop Jonathan Trelawney's (1650-1721)
funeral, the Bishops chair (possibly that from Trelawne which was constructed by J P
St Aubyn from pieces of the Bishops chair from Winchester) and a helmet and gauntlets
which belonged to the Trelawney family.
Fine selection of monuments of high quality. In chancel, on north wall slate
tombchest surmounted by elaborate back plate with painted and gilded figures. Buller
of Tregarrick (qv Barn 8Om to north west of Tregarrick Farmhouse). Depicts Francis
Buller and wife Thomasine kneeling at prayer desk with carved figures of eight
daughters and 4 sons below in flat relief. Strapwork decoration on tombchest with
base partly obscured by raised chancel floor: Third panel of chest fixed to east
wall. Heraldic arms. Plaques recording repair of monument by John Francis Buller in
c1726 and by John Buller of Downes, 1816. Latter signed by Sander-Cock, sculptor.
Part of the dismantled tombchest of William Achym (1589) is attached to the south
wall of the chancel. Formerly in the Achym aisle, now the vestry. Probably by Peter
Crocker. Suggested that curious expression on face of figure carved in high relief
depicts that of Achym who died of a stroke.
South side of chancel, monument to Edward Trelawney who lived at Bake. (qv) Died
1630 and signed by Robert Wills, 1639. Inscription 'Here lies an honest lawyer, wot
ye what. A thing for all the world to wonder at'.
Other monuments to William Harden, 1704; Richard William and Hanna Sawdy, 1663-1677,
signed W.S. 1678; Classical monument of Richard Robert of Liskeard and Mary, wife
and daughter of Richard Buller of Tregarrick. Signed IS ;
Classical monument of William Hill of Lancare, 1801 and ledger stone of Elizabeth
Pope, 1654. Strapwork decoration.
Further monuments to the Trelawney family, above the family vault in the south
transept. These included the plate taken from Bishop Jonathan Trelawneys coffin
below; monument erected to John Trelawney Baronet died 1756 erected by widow Agnes;
brass plaque to Edward Trelawney Governor of Jamacia 1738-1752; slate slab to
Cordelia Trelavnia anagram '0, illa Credita vrnae'. Flanked by 2 heraldic shields
and surmounted by a floral trail. Signed by Anthonius Collie, 1634; classical
monument to Elizabeth, daughter of John Vivyan depicting woman reclining on couch
with hand resting on a skull, 1640; Painted monument of Mary, daughter of Jonah
Trelawney, Bishop of Exeter, born and died on same in September 1700. Decorated with
putti, flowers and angels head on scull.
Six bells. Earliest surviving dated 1613. Two others 1683 and 1773. Further bell
of 1683 recast in 1910 when others restored. One was marked Jonathan Trelawney, U.B,
T.G., I.M.P. 1683.
Church probably stands on a Lan.
Pevsner, N and Radcliffe, E The Buildings of England Cornwall 2nd ed. 1970
Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall
Sites and Monuments Register, Truro, Cornwall.
Listing NGR: SX2031855052
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings