This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.2327 / 50°13'57"N
Longitude: -5.2291 / 5°13'44"W
OS Eastings: 169812
OS Northings: 41961
OS Grid: SW698419
Mapcode National: GBR Z3.DHHQ
Mapcode Global: VH12K.9DYX
Entry Name: Murdoch House
Listing Date: 1 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1161666
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66815
Location: Redruth, Cornwall, TR15
Civil Parish: Redruth
Built-Up Area: Redruth
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Redruth
Church of England Diocese: Truro
REDRUTH CROSS STREET
SW 64 SE
1.12.51 Murdoch House
House, now meeting room. Later C18, altered, and renovation in progress at
time of survey (1987). Granite rubble, the front covered by scored render,
the rear rendered at ground floor and slate hung above; graduated slate
roof with brick chimneys. Single-depth 2-unit plan. Two and a half storeys
and 2 bays; north front (to yard), almost symmetrical; doorway offset to
the right, with panelled door under overlight containing 5 lozenges;
restored 12-pane sashed windows on both floors; modillioned eaves cornice;
2 gableted dormers in the roof, with 9-pane sashes. Gable chimneys. Rear
(to Cross Street), altered since 1922 (see History below), now mostly
covered at ground floor by modern external staircase of brick pierced by a
doorway, flanked by 12-pane sashes, with a doorway at 1st floor, a 12-pane
sash to the right and a small 9-pane fixed window further to the right.
Interior altered by removal of internal partitions at ground floor.
History: occupied in late C18 by William Murdoch, who made the first model
steam-powered carriage here in 1784, and also invented gas lighting and
used it in the house in 1792. House damaged by fire in 1922; previously the
rear elevation had a raised doorway at ground floor, approached by 3 steps,
a shop window to the right of this, and low cellar windows on both sides.
Listing NGR: SW6981241961
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings