This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6799 / 50°40'47"N
Longitude: -4.3608 / 4°21'39"W
OS Eastings: 233303
OS Northings: 89353
OS Grid: SX333893
Mapcode National: GBR NL.6FPH
Mapcode Global: FRA 17R8.WCW
Entry Name: Stables and Carriage House 15 Metres to North East of Polapit Tamar
Listing Date: 11 January 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1161707
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68166
Location: Werrington, Cornwall, PL15
Civil Parish: Werrington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Werrington
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 38 NW
9/277 Stables and carriage house 15
- metres to north east of Polapit
Stables, tack room, carriage house and garages. Circa 1866 (dates on rain-water
hoppers). Snecked stone and brick, partly slate hung. Rag slate roof with gable and
Plan: Carriage house to left with stables in central range, divided with stables for
hunters to rear right and tack room to left with gun room to rear. Garages on right
with very early pit (1902). The ground level at the back is much lower. Italianate
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical elevation facing yard. Carriage house on left is
slate hung above ground floor and has 2 wide garage doors and diagonally planked door
on ground floor and three C19 12-pane sashes on first floor. Lower central range
containing stables has central round headed arched door opening flanked by two 2-
light windows. Gable end to central projection above which provides top lighting and
ventilation for the stables. 2 storey range to right with glazed extension on ground
floor and band of six 6-pane windows above with clock in gable end.
The back of the building has been treated as the main architectural elevation and
impressively rises from the garden which is much lower. Granite dressings and quoins.
Arcaded loggia to rear of stable range. To the left the boarded timber frame gable
end of the coach house has a row of 6 12-pane windows and to right a square weather
boarded timber frame cupola with a pyramidal roof.
Interior: Almost complete stalls and loose boxes in stables with finer quality
joinery in the stables which were used by the hunters. Brick and cobbled floors.
Complete fitting in tack room. White glazed tiles to pit which was constructed in
Listing NGR: SX3330389353
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings