This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0987 / 53°5'55"N
Longitude: -2.2678 / 2°16'4"W
OS Eastings: 382164
OS Northings: 355759
OS Grid: SJ821557
Mapcode National: GBR 01Q.PH3
Mapcode Global: WHBCD.4CCS
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 14 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1161743
English Heritage Legacy ID: 56495
Location: Church Lawton, Cheshire East, ST7
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Church Lawton
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Lawton (or Church Lawton) All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chester
CHURCH LAWTON C.P. (Off) LIVERPOOL ROAD
SJ 85 NW WEST
7/24 Church of All Saints
Church. Romanesque door surround of C11 or C12. Perpendicular tower
of before 1555 and neo-classical nave of 1803. Red and yellow
sandstone ashlar to tower and porch. Flemish bond brick with a plain
tile roof. Western tower, nave and south-western porch. Tower:
western face: diagonal buttresses to the corners. Deeply chamfered
doorway with pointed arch, hood mould and label stops. Three-light
window above probably of C19 date with three pointed lights.
Staircase lancets to right of this. Two-light louvred belfry opening
above with Y-tracery, hood-mould and figurehead label stops, that at
right being a grotesque head. Battlemented parapet with piers to the
corners. The north face of the tower has a C20 service lean-to
attached to its lower stage and a string course between the stages.
Similar belfry to that on the western front. The southern face has
the initials I B divided by a chalice in relief at right above the
string course and a circular clockface to the centre below the belfry
opening. Nave: the south face is of 4 bays of brick with a deep stone
plinth with, to the left hand side, a porch built as a war memorial in
1926 of ashlar. This is gabled with a pointed, chamfered arch.
Within and to either wall are benches above which are tablets in
pointed niches inscribed with the names of the dead. The door to the
church has a Romanesque surround, apparently re-positioned here. To
either side are pilarettes with a hollow chamfer to their centres. At
the level of the capitals is a band of leaf and dart moulding and to
the arch and intrados are chevron patterns. To right of the porch are
two round-arched windows and to the far right a doorway with stone
surround and lunette window above. The north face is similar with 2
round-headed windows at left and two windows at right with a blocked
doorway to right of centre. The western end has a Venetian window and
hipped roof and a blocked doorway at right.
Interior: Western gallery with front of raised and fielded panels
supported on iron columns of quatrefoil section.
Listing NGR: SJ8216455759
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 26 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings