This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1039 / 50°6'14"N
Longitude: -5.095 / 5°5'42"W
OS Eastings: 178774
OS Northings: 27234
OS Grid: SW787272
Mapcode National: GBR ZC.LGT6
Mapcode Global: FRA 086R.4VF
Plus Code: 9C2P4W33+HX
Entry Name: Church of Saint Mawnan
Listing Date: 10 July 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1161760
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66198
Location: Mawnan, Cornwall, TR11
Civil Parish: Mawnan
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Mawnan
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 72 NE MAWNAN MAWNAN
9/213 Church of Saint Mawnan
Parish church, C13 chancel, C14 tower foundation, otherwise rebuilt and extended in
the C15; restored circa 1830 and again in 1880. Killas rubble with granite
dressings and granite ashlar to the upper parts of the tower. Dry Delabole slate
roofs with coped gables at the east end.
Plan: Nave, chancel west tower, north aisle and south aisle. The chancel is partly
C13 (at least the south wall); it was heightened in the C19. The tower base is
probably C14 but largely rebuilt or heightened with granite ashlar in the C15. The
south aisle was enlarged and partly or wholly rebuilt in the C19. The north aisle
is largely C15 and still has its original windows and carved wallplate of former
C15 waggon roof. Apart from this wallplate, the roofs were replaced in the C15.
Exterior: C15 2-stage west tower has steep 4-centred arched west doorway and C15
window with C19 Perpendicular style tracery over. There is a stair turret in the
north-west corner of the tower to the lower stage only. The upper stage has
original 2-light traceried windows with slate louvred lights. Original embattled
parapet has crocketted corner pinnacles.
North aisle has C19 pointed arched doorway and C15 windows. The 3-light east window
and the three 2-light windows in the north wall have trefoil-head lights with
quatrefoil tracery over. The cusps of the lights have bosses (compare Church of
Saint Winwalow, Gurwalloe). The west window has C19 tracery. Set into this wall is
a medieval crosshead. South wall of chancel has C13 lancet window. Otherwise the
windows of the church are C19 in Perpendicular style.
Interior: C13 features: the foil-headed piscina with hoodmould with carved head
stops in south wall of chancel; carved head at the west end of the north aisle.
C14 features: pointed tower arch on moulded imposts; tower stair. C15 features; 6-
bay 4-centred arched arcades between nave/chancel and aisles; the north arcade has
piers with 4 shafts engaged to a round centre (3 western bays are C19 copies); the
south arcade piers have 4 round shafts with fillets between. There are sections of
C15 carved wallplate in the north aisle. Otherwise most of the features are C19,
the walls have C19 or C20 plaster, the roofs are arch-braced over the nave and
chancel and there are simple waggon roofs over the aisles. Tower interior not
Fittings: C15 octagonal granite font; C15 fragment of base of former rood screen
with original paint, attached to west end of north aisle; there is another fragment
behind the pulpit. At the west end of the north wall are 2 strips of wood
inscribed: Gilbertus Randall fecit Anno DNI: 1684.
There is some C19 coloured glass in the east chancel window
Monuments: C13 coffin slab with floriated cross set into floor near the front;
marble wall monument on south wall to Mary, only daughter of the Rev John Rogers,
Rector of this parish, died 1827 aged 36, erected by her husband.
Sources: Church guide.
Listing NGR: SW7877427234
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings