This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.6921 / 53°41'31"N
Longitude: -1.0303 / 1°1'48"W
OS Eastings: 464132
OS Northings: 422178
OS Grid: SE641221
Mapcode National: GBR PT7R.R6
Mapcode Global: WHFDH.4GND
Entry Name: Lock-Up
Listing Date: 23 April 1952
Last Amended: 16 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1161768
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164908
Location: Snaith and Cowick, East Riding of Yorkshire, DN14
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Snaith and Cowick
Built-Up Area: Snaith
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Great Snaith
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SNAITH AND COWICK BUTTER MARKET
(formerly listed as Old
23.4.52 Police Cells used by
Former lock-up. Late C18 - early C19, with later alterations to roof of
left cell. Built by the Vestry Board for the use of the Manor Constables.
Brown brick with sandstone ashlar dressings. Pantile roof. Plan: 2 rooms,
each with entrance to street. Single storey, 2 windows. Doorways with
ashlar jambs and lintels and original heavy studded oak board doors, flanked
by small single windows with ashlar surrounds and 6 vertical iron bars with
single cross-bar. Swept roof to cell on right; later single-pitch roof to
cell on left (collapsed at time of resurvey). Interior: cell to right
retains original sandstone ceiling. Former boilerhouse adjoining to rear,
and fire-station addition adjoining to right, are not of special interest.
An unusual and important survival, empty and partly derelict at time of
Listing NGR: SE6413222178
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings