History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fair House

A Grade II Listed Building in Pelynt, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 50.3675 / 50°22'2"N

Longitude: -4.5276 / 4°31'39"W

OS Eastings: 220343

OS Northings: 55006

OS Grid: SX203550

Mapcode National: GBR NC.V6VH

Mapcode Global: FRA 18D2.9YB

Entry Name: Fair House

Listing Date: 26 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1161796

English Heritage Legacy ID: 61648

Location: Pelynt, Cornwall, PL13

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Pelynt

Built-Up Area: Pelynt

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Pelynt

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SX 25 NW
2/183 Fair House

House and store associated with the Midsummer Fair at Pelynt, now private house.
Probably early C18. Rendered stone rubble and cob. Asbestos slate roof with gable
ends, replacing thatched roof. Eaves raised. Brick chimney stack on left-hand gable
end and stone rubble chimney stack on right-hand gable end.
Single depth plan, extended with outshuts to rear. Entrance altered, now 2 rooms
with wide stair hall.
2 storeys, asymmetrical 3-window front. Ground floor with 2 C19 16-pane sashes
without horns and with original crown glass and bullseyes. C20 door in centre and 2-
light casement to right. Arrangement of ground floor altered. Originally with 2
doors in present window openings. Above 2 C19 16-pane sashes without horns and with
original crown glass. 4-pane sash to right.
Interior with C19 and C20 fittings.
Midsummers Fair granted by Charter of Edward III in 1356 to the Abbey and Convent of
The Fair continued until the early C20. The stalls were kept in the Fair House and
the toll and house were normally rented to a parishioner. In a will of 1801, William
Hill of Cardwen gave his sister Elizabeth 'The toll or profits of Pelynt Fair during
her natural life' adding 'in case my interest in the premises shall so long continue.
She paying the conventionary rent repairing the House and keeping the utensils in
proper repair'.
Information from the owner and
Grigson, G Freedom of the Parish 1954 rp 1982.

Listing NGR: SX2034255004

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.