This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.9171 / 53°55'1"N
Longitude: -0.9268 / 0°55'36"W
OS Eastings: 470585
OS Northings: 447309
OS Grid: SE705473
Mapcode National: GBR PRZ4.4K
Mapcode Global: WHFCC.QSVY
Entry Name: Church of Saint Michael and All Angels
Listing Date: 26 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1162085
English Heritage Legacy ID: 167672
Location: Sutton upon Derwent, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO41
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Sutton upon Derwent
Built-Up Area: Sutton upon Derwent
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sutton-on-Derwent St Michael
Church of England Diocese: York
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 02/06/2015
SE 74 NW
SUTTON ON DERWENT,
Church of Saint Michael and All Angels
(Formerly listed as B1228 (west side))
Church. C12 nave, C13 chancel, C15 west tower, C15-C16 south porch. Ashlar
with slate roofs; possibly some re-used Roman brick to chancel. 3-stage
west tower, 4-bay aisled nave with south porch, 3-bay chancel with north
chapel. West tower: plinth, diagonal buttresses. Trefoil-headed light
under square head to second stage, 2-light trefoil headed belfry openings.
Crenellated parapet. External stair projection lit by small oblong windows,
to south-east quoin. Pointed west window with reticulated tracery. Nave:
three 2-light square-headed windows with ogee tracery; pointed south door
with continuous chamfer. Four 2-light square headed clerestory openings.
South porch: moulded plinth. Pointed door with moulded capitals and jambs
under hood-mould; windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights under triangular head
and hood-mould. C19 stone slab roof. Chancel: three 3-light square headed
windows. Priests' door under 4-centred arch. 5-light pointed east window
under hood-mould, raised coped gable on shaped kneelers, Celtic cross
finial. Interior: south porch has bench seats and hollow-chamfered
transverse ribs to roof. Nave: double-chamfered tower arch dying into
responds. South arcade of cylindrical piers on waterholding bases
supporting capitals with lancet leaves, square abaci, and double-chamfered
round arches. North arcade: double-chamfered round arches on polygonal
abaci, waterleaf capitals, cylindrical piers, and moulded bases. Pointed
double-chamfered chancel arch of 1841. Re-set early C12 round arch on
chamfered imposts and plain responds to north chapel (rediscovered in 1927).
Damaged fragment of early C11 cross showing seated Virgin and Child to one
face, beast and interlace ornament to remaining faces. Cable moulding to
each arris. C14 octagonal font on splayed octonal foot. Tower chamber
contains battered mid-C14 panel depicting Saint George and the Dragon.
Listing NGR: SE7058647307
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings