This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.373 / 50°22'22"N
Longitude: -4.2928 / 4°17'34"W
OS Eastings: 237052
OS Northings: 55075
OS Grid: SX370550
Mapcode National: GBR NP.TTBY
Mapcode Global: FRA 18W1.Z9R
Entry Name: The Glebe House
Listing Date: 23 January 1968
Last Amended: 26 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1162138
English Heritage Legacy ID: 61972
Location: Sheviock, Cornwall, PL11
Civil Parish: Sheviock
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Sheviock
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 35 NE SHEVIOCK SHEVIOCK
2/320 The Glebe House (formerly listed as
Rectory, now house. Mid-late C17, possibly with earlier origin, remodelled probably
in mid C18, with rear service wing dated 1892 and C20 alterations. Mixed sandstone
and slatestone rubble, hipped slate roof with ridge tiles and 3 rubble rear lateral
stacks; end stack to left.
3-room plan with no evidence of passage remaining; central front entrance leading
directly into the central room. Probably the original hall and inner room to right,
lower end room to left. Each room heated by rear lateral stack. Probably mid-late
C17 stair tower added to rear of central room, and outshut at right end. Remodelled
in the C18 to give a symmetrical front, with the roof raised (ends of tie-beams
showing below eaves level to front). A 1½ storey rear service wing of one-room plan
was added to the rear of the lower end in 1892, and probably at this time the lateral
stack to the lower end was no longer used, and a gable end stack was added to the
lower end. C20 alterations include rebuilding the staircase in the stair tower and
partitioning the rooms at first floor; also complete reconstructions of the roof.
Symmetrical front of 2 storeys and 7 windows, at first floor all 2-light casements
with glazing bars and timber lintels, windows of C20; ground floor has 3 mullion and
transom windows to left and right of central double panelled doors with overlight,
all C20 replacements. Above the first floor windows, the beam ends from former roof
line are visible. Attached to right, 1½ storey rubble lean-to with C20 2-light
casement at ground floor (formerly door) and blocked loading door or window above.
Left side has 4-pane light at ground floor left and 3-light casement at first floor
left, both C20. At right side, the addition has C20 ground floor window. At the
rear, the addition to left has C20 door with sandstone segmental head with keystone,
single C20 light and narrow door, with straight joint to main house. The 3 rear
lateral stacks are all in rubble with cornices, outshut built around the 2 stacks to
left (to rear of hall and inner room), also enclosing the stair tower. The outshut
has 2 C20 windows at ground floor and 2 under eaves. There is a separate, lower
Ditched roof over the stair tower, with a single light a upper level to the right
side; C20 double doors and single light at ground floor. The 1½ storey rear service
wing to right has gable end stack and C20 window to inner side, lean-to in rubble to
outer side, with single C20 light to end and 3-light window to outer side.
Interior Central room has fireplace to rear lateral stack, in granite, with flat
head, hollow-chamfered. The lower end room to left has blocked fireplace to rear
lateral stack and gable end fireplace with recess to right, probably for oven. Inner
room to end right has plaster overmantel over rear lateral fireplace; this shows the
arms of Nicholas Kendall, vicar, circa 1680, with panelled pilasters and central
cartouche, shield with helm above and motto below: virtus depressa resurgit.
Surround of stylised leaves and lion above helm. The ceiling has central plaster
Tudor rose with 4 surrounding flowers. The rest of the house was remodelled in late
Listing NGR: SX3705155072
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings