This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.6951 / 53°41'42"N
Longitude: -0.765 / 0°45'53"W
OS Eastings: 481643
OS Northings: 422781
OS Grid: SE816227
Mapcode National: GBR RT3Q.54
Mapcode Global: WHFDM.6DZ3
Entry Name: Stable Range and Adjoining Stableyard Gateway Approximately 20 Metres South West of Whitgift Hall
Listing Date: 30 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1162178
English Heritage Legacy ID: 165428
Location: Twin Rivers, East Riding of Yorkshire, DN14
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Twin Rivers
Built-Up Area: Reedness
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Whitgift St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SE 82 SW TWIN RIVERS MAIN STREET
1/40 Stable range and
gateway approximately 20
metres south-west of
Stable range and adjoining stableyard gateway. 1819 for Coulman family.
Red-brown brick with front of stock brick in Flemish bond with white lime
pointing. Slate roof to central section, corrugated asbestos roofs to side
ranges. Gateway of red stock brick with ashlar dressings. Rectangular on
plan, with gateway adjoining north-west corner. Slightly advanced 2-storey,
central single bay flanked by single-storey, 4-bay wings. Central bay has
half-glazed 6-panelled door (4 panes over 2 fielded panels) in reveal and
architrave. Side ranges have single 6-fielded-panel doors in architraves to
bays 2 and 8, flanked by single windows to outer bays and pairs of windows
to inner bays, the windows with 6-pane sashes above slatted wooden
ventilators in flush wooden architraves with stone sills. Both doors and
windows beneath rubbed-brick flat arches. Central section has blocked
first-floor oculus in rubbed-brick surround, low hipped roof with flat
central section (probably for former cupola or dovecote) surmounted by
elaborate wrought-iron weather-vane with compass points and ball finial.
South side and interior not available for inspection. Forms south side of
stableyard west of Whitgift Hall (qv), contemporary with the coach-
house/stable/granary range to the north (qv). Gateway adjoining north-west
angle has central carriage entrance between square piers flanked by coped
walls ramped down each side to lower piers and pedestrian gateways. Piers
have moulded caps with low pyramidal tops. C19 wooden barred gate with
diagonal struts to right pedestrian entrance; central entrance and left
entrances have C20 gates. Left side adjoins stable/granary/carriage-house
range to west of Whitgift Hall (qv). Previous list records a date of 1819
on the weather-vane. See Item 1/38 for additional historical details.
Stable range used as a piggery and in disrepair at time of resurvey (April
1987). Adjoining farmbuildings to south are not of special interest.
Listing NGR: SE8164322781
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings