This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.287 / 52°17'13"N
Longitude: 0.3785 / 0°22'42"E
OS Eastings: 562325
OS Northings: 268098
OS Grid: TL623680
Mapcode National: GBR N9B.LHD
Mapcode Global: VHJG9.HSY3
Plus Code: 9F4279PH+R9
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 19 August 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1162203
English Heritage Legacy ID: 49031
Location: Exning, West Suffolk, Suffolk, CB8
Civil Parish: Exning
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Exning St Martin
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL 66 NW FORDHAM LANDWADE
Church of St
Church of St Nicholas. Built c.1445 for Sir Walter Cotton.
Cruciform plan and west tower. Some re-used Barnack stone and
limestone dressings, flint and pebble rubble originally
plastered. Interior details in clunch. Welsh slate roofs;
plain tile pyramidal tower roof and pent roof to tower turret.
Two massive gault brick buttresses, mid C19, to west elevation
of tower. Building otherwise without buttresses excepting the
porch and west end with angle buttresses. Continuous moulded
plinth band. Coped parapet gables to roofs. Tower of two
stages with embattled parapet and round arched belfry windows
rebuilt in west elevation. Windows with three cinquefoil lights
and quartrefoils with labels in east window and north transept
east window, other windows of two-lights. Two C15 doors;
doorway in north wall with cinquefoil stoup. Interior transept
crossings with two bay arcades giving entry from chancel and
nave to memorial chapels. Nave and chancel roof of six bays,
with plastered ceiling between main arch braced trusses
supported on original carved corbels. Rood screen, mid C15 with
ogee arches. Benches also C15 with carved poppy heads and
rosettes. Some re-used panelling at west end of nave.
Fragments of C15 stained glass. Font possibly C18 simple bowl
on shafted pedastal. Monuments, three tomb chests in chancel,
weathered polished limestone, two wall monuments, recessed with
brass indented plaques. North trancept monument to Sir John
Cotton d.1593, tomb chest with two recumbant figures and open
strapwork ornament to canopy. South transept monuments,
similar, of marble with recumbant figures on tomb chests with
classical details to canopies, to Sir John Cotton d.1689 and to
Sir John Cotton and his wife d.1620. Wall monument to Sir John
Cotton d.1712 of white marble with two putti by Thomas Aday.
Memorial stained glass windows C15.
Pevsner. Buildings of England, p.421
Palmer, W.M. Inscriptions and Coats of Arms of Cambridgeshire 1932.
W. Cole. MS. C.R.O.
Tretfall, J.B. A Coat of Arms at Landwode. The Conduit. No. 7, 1983.
Listing NGR: TL6232568098
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings