This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4608 / 50°27'38"N
Longitude: -4.1519 / 4°9'6"W
OS Eastings: 247359
OS Northings: 64542
OS Grid: SX473645
Mapcode National: GBR NW.N7DV
Mapcode Global: FRA 276V.09Y
Plus Code: 9C2QFR6X+87
Entry Name: Maristow House
Listing Date: 29 March 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1162231
English Heritage Legacy ID: 99115
Location: Bickleigh, South Hams, Devon, PL6
Civil Parish: Bickleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 13/05/2019
SX 46 SE
Large country house in landscaped park overlooking the River Tavy 1760, refronted by George and Yates in 1907-9. The house was purchased in 1798 by Sir Manasseh Messeh Lopes, a Jamaican-born Jew of Sephardic origin who assimilated into English society, and whose descendants contiued to live there until 1938. Rendered stone with stone dressings. Slate mansard roof. Modillion cornice and balustraded parapet with pineapple finials. Rusticated quoins. Two storeys and attic.
The 1907-9 west front 2:3:1:3:2 bays. E-shaped on plan. Flanking wings, with ends of which break forward with pediments containing lunettes. The ground floor windows flanked by niches containing figures, the right hand a Venetian window. Central three-storey porch with giant Ionic pilasters, segmental pedment, Ruborough Arms and iron balcony over rusticated round-arched doorway. Moulded stone window architraves, sashes, and casements without glazing bars. Pedimented dormers. Rendered chimneystacks with cornices. South elevation. Two storeys. 2:3:2 bays. Centre breaks forward with oval windows in the attic and Doric portico. Left hand wing with bow is of 1907-9.
Interior: partly gutted by fire in late C20. Some of the C18 and early C20 interior survives including the possibly C18 staircase with three balusters per tread and carved brackets tread ends and moulded soffit. Handrail ramped up to column newels. South range retains C18 moulded door architraves with entablature overdoors, marble chimneypiece with swags and masks and moulded plasterwork. The ground floor south-west room has early C20 plaster ceiling. Ground floor north-east rooms has C18 moulded panelling, overdoors with segmental open pediment, chimneypiece with eared architrave, overmantel with carved wooden festoons and moulded plaster ceiling.
Former seat of the Lopes family.
Listing NGR: SX4735964542
Other nearby listed buildings