This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5532 / 53°33'11"N
Longitude: -2.2017 / 2°12'5"W
OS Eastings: 386736
OS Northings: 406307
OS Grid: SD867063
Mapcode National: GBR FW2B.4Z
Mapcode Global: WHB93.4YVD
Entry Name: Former Infant School Building and Attached Boundary Walls and Railings and Gatepiers and Arched Entrance Gateway at Former Durnford High School
Listing Date: 23 March 1987
Last Amended: 28 October 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1162369
English Heritage Legacy ID: 213459
Location: Rochdale, M24
Electoral Ward/Division: West Middleton
Built-Up Area: Middleton (Rochdale)
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Middleton St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17/10/2017
RECTORY STREET (West side)
FORMER INFANT SCHOOL BUILDING , ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS, GATEPIERS AND ARCHED ENTRANCE GATEWAY AT FORMER DURNFORD HIGH SCHOOL SITE
(Formerly listed as: RECTORY STREET, MIDDLETON, DURNFORD BUILDING AT DURNFORD HIGH SCHOOL, ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALLS, GATE PIERS AND SIDE ENTRANCE)
(Formerly listed as: RECTORY STREET, MIDDLETON DURNFORD BUILDING AT DURNFORD HIGH SCHOOL)
School, with attached boundary walls, railings, gate piers and side entrance structure. 1908-10, with late C20 additions. By Edgar Wood and J.H.Sellers. Brick with Portland stone dressings and a reinforced concrete flat roof.
PLAN: Surviving element of former T-plan school originally the stem section of the complex. Central hall with classrooms to north, south and east sides.
EXTERIOR: Single storey range, formerly a projection to the east of the main building, entered from the west. Six bay central section, with lower three-bay end range to east. South elevation with tall, multi pane windows below coped parapet. A taller inner wall with render finish defines extent of the original central hall. At the east end of the hall, and elaborate tower-like chimney with pilastered corners.
INTERIOR: Not inspected, but thought to retain original doors and partitions. Attached boundary walls enclose front and south sides of the former school site. The central part of the main frontage wall is of red brick with a thin stone coping. Flanking this area are sections of low plinth walling with intermediate piers and sections of ornamental cast iron railings with decorative upper panels. At the south east corner, entrance gateway with angled ashlar gatepiers with ramped cappings. Plain railings on plinth walling extends westwards to taller rendered side entrance wall incorporating an arched entrance gateway with a pair of cast iron gates, and enclosing a flight of covered stone steps leading up to the former playground area.
HISTORY: Durnford Street School was one of two pioneering Municipal Schools (with Elm Street School, q.v.) built by the local Education Committee to establish the new standards of hygiene and teaching practice advocated in the Balfour Education Act of 1902. The school was designed to accommodate 1000 infant, junior and senior children. Consent for the demolition of the Junior and Senior School area was granted by the Local Planning Authority in May 2002.
The surviving parts of an innovative and stylistically-advanced school complex, designed by an architect of national repute, Edgar Wood, in which he explored the use of reinforced concrete and flat roof construction.
SOURCES: Archer, J H G. " Edgar Wood (1860 - 1935 )" Transactions of the Lancashire and Cheshire Antiquarian Society , vol. 73-4, 1963-4.
NBR Historic Buildings Report. " Durnford Street School, Rectory Street, Middleton ,Greater Manchester " December 1995.
Listing NGR: SD8673606307
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings