This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.4843 / 53°29'3"N
Longitude: -0.5261 / 0°31'33"W
OS Eastings: 497899
OS Northings: 399634
OS Grid: SK978996
Mapcode National: GBR SXR4.WP
Mapcode Global: WHGGT.WPN6
Plus Code: 9C5XFFMF+PH
Entry Name: Stableyard Wall and Adjoining Tower Folly Partly Incorporated in Number 5 Redbourne Hall Approximately 50 Metres East of Redbourne Hall
Listing Date: 6 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1162390
English Heritage Legacy ID: 166037
Location: Redbourne, North Lincolnshire, DN21
County: North Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: Redbourne
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Scawby and Redbourne
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SK 9699-9799 REDBOURNE WADDINGHAM ROAD
(east side, off)
22/76 Stableyard wall and
adjoining tower folly
partly incorporated in
No 5 Redbourne Hall
approximately 50 metres
east of Redbourne Hall
Stableyard wall and adjoining tower folly, now partly incorporated in house.
Mid - late C18, perhaps by John Carr, for Carter Estate. Alterations and
additions to rear of 1973-84; tower lowered. Squared limestone with brick
and ashlar dressings. Straight south-facing wall approximately 50 metres
long with entrances to left and right, and 2 sides of projecting tower to
right end. Elliptical keyed brick carriage arch to left with C20 gate;
full-height opening to right with C20 gates; wall approximately 5 metes high
with string course and ashlar-coped crenellations. Section of wall to
right, now part of house, has two C20 windows with section of former brick
quoins between. Tower: red and yellow brick quoins. South side has single
central first-floor and second-floor panels with ashlar lintels and hood-
moulds, 2 inserted first-floor windows, stepped eaves, coped embattled
parapet. Left-return: C20 inserted door in angle and window to right; blind
first-floor panel with lintel and hood-mould, similar second-floor panel
with hood-mould missing. House contains a datestone of 1734 and a fine pair
of ashlar relief panels (formerly in wall of stableyard building to rear)
re-set in chimneybreast, but otherwise is of no special interest. The
panels, probably late C18 - early C19, depict hay-making and ox-ploughing
scenes, and are similar to the panels in the main gateway to the Park (qv).
Stableyard wall and tower folly were probably among the improvements
undertaken for The Rev Robert Carter Thelwall in 1770s-80s, and may be from
plans submitted by John Carr of York in 1773 and 1784. Included for group
value. Former stableyard and walled gardens to rear not fully investigated.
Photographs in NMR; N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England:
Lincolnshire, 1978, p340; York Georgian Society, The Works in Architecture
[of John Carr, 1973, p 28.]
Listing NGR: SK9789999634
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings