This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.8449 / 53°50'41"N
Longitude: -0.4361 / 0°26'9"W
OS Eastings: 502992
OS Northings: 439871
OS Grid: TA029398
Mapcode National: GBR TRDZ.DG
Mapcode Global: WHGF4.8ML9
Entry Name: Beverley North Bar Nos 65 and 67 (Bar House) Including Garden Wall, Piers and Railings
Listing Date: 1 March 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1162565
English Heritage Legacy ID: 167340
Location: Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU17
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Beverley
Built-Up Area: Beverley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Beverley St Mary
Church of England Diocese: York
In the entry for:
BEVERLEY NORTH BAR WITHIN
7/221 Nos 65 and 67
9/221 (Bar House)
"Photographs" shall be added at the end of the first paragraph of the description.
TA 0239/TA 0339 BEVERLEY NORTH BAR WITHIN
7/221 Beverley North Bar
9/221 Nos 65 and 67 (Bar House)
1.3.50 including garden wall,
piers and railings
The North Bar was built in 1409 at a cost of £96 0s 11½d. 2 storeys in brick
with room over archway. North face shows buttresses framing a depressed pointed
arch over which is a late C17 cartouche of arms in carved stone. 2 blind
niches and 1 window have trefoil heads and label moulds with finials. Under the
embattled parapet is a cogged string course. South face, main opening has label
mould. 3 trefoil arches are grouped inside the strings arranged gablewise
surmounted by finial. 3 brick shields. 2 small modern windows. Cogged string
and embattled parapet lined in by a pilaster strip on corbels. Interior of main
opening has plain brick vault to contour of arch. Rib vaulted in 2 bays with
single chamfered brick ribs and portcullis groove. 2 modern side openings
outside the original building for pedestrians. The house is of early C18
origin, refronted by William Hawe in 1866, attached to the Bar on the east.
2 storeys in stuccoed brick with moulded egg and dart architraves to windows.
Band. Deeply moulded eaves cornice. Parapet with vase-shaped balusters of
square plan. Giant pilasters framing each elevation, with urns on the parapet
above. 1:2 windows on east face, 4 on north, 3 on west. Front door on each
side has wood case with 2 reeded attached Doric columns, 2 side lights, fanlight,
6-panel door and entablature broken over columns. Plain tile roof. Tower with
4 round-arched windows has slated roof and delicate cast iron balustrade. Some
of the interior features date from William Middleton's alterations of c.1793-4
including a chimneypiece with cast 'Adam' ornament. Staircase apparently C19,
probably replacing the principal C18 one, as it has early C18 wainscot with
moulded panels to dado height, as does the hall. The stair which was formerly
the back stair to the two houses when one, is C18, altered; closed string, plain
newels, moulded handrail, and the lower flight has C19 flat-cut ornamented
balusters. Nearly all door frames have early C19 reeded architraves. NMR
Country Life article 19.11.59.
Railings to north side of house have 4 piers with C18 stonework incorporated in
later brickwork, Doric pilasters, imposts crowned by carved consoles, archi-
trave, pulvinated frieze, cornice and ball finials. Early C19 standard railings
on brick wall, joining old 3 metre high brick garden wall with stone coping.
Graded as a group with the house and Bar.
Listing NGR: TA0299239871
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings