History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter and St Paul

A Grade II* Listed Building in Dry Drayton, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2385 / 52°14'18"N

Longitude: 0.0196 / 0°1'10"E

OS Eastings: 537999

OS Northings: 261957

OS Grid: TL379619

Mapcode National: GBR K5F.RR9

Mapcode Global: VHHJV.9Z6V

Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Listing Date: 31 August 1962

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1162717

English Heritage Legacy ID: 51703

Location: Dry Drayton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB23

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Dry Drayton

Built-Up Area: Dry Drayton

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Dry Drayton St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Hardwick

Listing Text

TL 36 SE DRY DRAYTON PARK STREET
(South Side)

1/86 Church of St Peter
31. 8.62 and St Paul

II*

Parish Church. Late C13 West tower, late C13 and C14 nave arcades,
substantial C19 restorations including the rebuilding of the chancel in 1851
and the west tower restoration of 1874. Pebble and fieldstones with clunch
dressings to windows and doors and limestone to quoins. Original wall
material cased with broken pieces of limestone ashlar and the clunch
dressings have mostly been replaced by Ketton stone. Slate roofs. West
tower of three stages, with C19 brick embattlement and two-light bell stage
openings and west window. Nave has C19 clerestorey with three C14 style
quatrefoil openings. South aisle also restored late C13 or early C14 work.
Chancel C19. Interior: North and south nave arcades of three bays, each
with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders on octagonal columns with
moulded capitals but obscured bases. Both sides of north arcade have moulded
labels with mask stops. Tower arch of three chamfered arches, the inner of
half-octagonal responds with moulded capital and bases. The chancel arch is
similar to that of the nave arcade. Font: C13 limestone. Octagonal basin
on square stem with polygonal shafts to each side. Brasses: West of chancel
arch. Thomas Hatton and his wife 1540. Male and female figures with shields
of arms above and indents for two groups of children and inscription. In
chancel; male figure with inscription plate. Medieval.
R.C.H.M. West Cambs., mon.(1)
Pevsner. Buildings of England, p331


Listing NGR: TL3799961957

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.