This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4531 / 50°27'11"N
Longitude: -4.0691 / 4°4'8"W
OS Eastings: 253208
OS Northings: 63522
OS Grid: SX532635
Mapcode National: GBR NZ.NYF5
Mapcode Global: FRA 27CV.NJM
Entry Name: Shaugh Mill
Listing Date: 2 February 1984
Last Amended: 4 January 2012
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1162739
English Heritage Legacy ID: 99201
Location: Shaugh Prior, South Hams, Devon, PL7
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Shaugh Prior
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Shaugh Mill is an early-C18 disused water mill, closely associated with Shaugh Mill House.
MATERIALS: built of rubble stone with granite quoins and a bitumenised slate roof.
PLAN: the principal mill building is square in plan, with outbuildings to the west. To the rear of the building, the wheel pit survives, along with the stone piers that supported the launder (water channel).
EXTERIOR: two storeys, with loft. The principal (south) elevation comprises three bays with a garage door to the right and an inserted small segmental headed window to the left. To the first floor are three C20 windows. The side (east) elevation comprises a flight of steps leading to an inserted doorway, with two windows to the loft. The water wheel to the rear (north) elevation has been removed. To the west of the mill is an outbuilding, which may have been a stable, with three openings at ground floor and a former hayloft above. It includes a stone inscribed ML 1871. Attached to the west elevation of the outbuilding is a single-storey lean-to with three openings which may have been a pigsty.
INTERIOR: the mill retains no historic machinery pertaining to its original use, although the stone corbels that support the first floor suggest that this floor formerly contained heavy equipment. The roof to the mill is believed to survive intact but the floor joists and the roof to the hayloft above the stable have been renewed.
Shaugh Mill is believed to have early-C18 origins as a water mill. It is depicted on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1886 and identified as a corn mill, with the mill leat to the north, fed from the River Plym. The footprint of the building survives unaltered.
It is thought that Shaugh Mill was in operation until approximately 1890, when a drop in water level caused the mill leat that fed the water wheel to dry up. However, an historic photograph of workers at the mill is dated 1890-1910 and illustrates the water wheel and the launder (raised water channel) in situ. A further historic photograph, dated April 1942, again shows the launder in situ, as well as the chimney to the east elevation of the mill. Photographs of the building in the early 1970s illustrate that the launder and the chimney have been removed. It is reported that the chimney may have been destroyed by a bomb that dropped near to the mill site during the Second World War, and that the wheel and mill machinery were removed for scrap metal.
In the early 1970s Shaugh Mill was refurbished and a number of alterations to the building occurred which included changes to the window openings and the insertion of a garage door. In addition, a low window to the side (east) elevation has been blocked by a flight of steps; the window on the first floor is now a door; and a second window has been added to the loft.
Shaugh Mill is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural and Historic interest: as an early C18 corn mill that retains a significant proportion of historic fabric;
* Functional interest: the function and process of the mill remains evident in the surviving historic fabric of the building, including the wheel pit and stone corbels, as well as its overall setting.
Other nearby listed buildings