History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Sawtry, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4407 / 52°26'26"N

Longitude: -0.2853 / 0°17'6"W

OS Eastings: 516653

OS Northings: 283910

OS Grid: TL166839

Mapcode National: GBR GZW.SVV

Mapcode Global: VHGL8.0XKB

Entry Name: The Manor House

Listing Date: 28 January 1958

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1162790

English Heritage Legacy ID: 54692

Location: Sawtry, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE28

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire

Civil Parish: Sawtry

Built-Up Area: Sawtry

Traditional County: Huntingdonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Sawtry All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Sawtry

Listing Text


TL 18 SE SAWTRY HIGH STREET
(West Side)
5/59 The Manor House
28.1.58 (No 33)

II
House. 1795. Local gault brick, Flemish bond, with paler bricks to front
wall and more random brickwork to end and rear walls. Plain tiled, mansard
roof with ridge stack between front and kitchen wing at the rear and
projecting stack to the south gable end. L-plan. Two storeys and attic.
Three dormers. Symmetrical facade of three first floor sixteen pane flush
frame hung sashes with narrow glazing bars. The centre window is probably
later. Central doorway has triangular pediment with foliate motif to the
tympanum above dentil cornice and frieze with fluting, urns and a central open
shell motif. Flanking demi-Ionic fluted pilasters to doorway architrave.
Bi-valve door with four panels, the upper two have large round bosses and
pendant husk garlands. The garden doorway in the rear wall opposite the
principal doorway has a moulded surround with a pulvinated frieze and a raised
and fielded panelled door which has been reversed. Interior: Entrance hall
with original dentil cornice and stucco roundel ceiling piece formed by
tendril foliage in bolection moulded border. Raised and fielded panelled
doors, one to former dining-room also has beading to the panels. Original
staircase of four flights and two landings. The balustrade has been replaced
but the shaped tread ends remain. The dining-room has a fine Adam style
stucco ceiling. In the centre an eight pointed star enclosing festoon husks
with ribbons and pendants, medallions and a roundel centrepiece of running
foliage and flowers. The outer bands of ornament include serpentine foliage
with leaves and daisies, roses and pinks, and an outer border of festoons of
husks looped over a bolection moulding. The cornice has bands of egg and dart
and anthemion plasterwork. At first floor, one bedroom retains its cornice of
beading, foliate paterae and fluting and cyma moulding above a narrow frieze
of acanthus and mask medallions. Dated 1795 on beam in the roof.


Listing NGR: TL1665383910

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.